Pulled a muzzleloader deer tag!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LR

Reaction score
Pulled a deer tag for northern CO. Only put in for deer this year as I want to shoot PRB and unfortunately, CO has become overwhelmed with dumb people who think a .50 PRB can't kill an elk. 🤦‍♂️

I may put in for elk next year. But my rifle likes PRB and it's what it was designed for and I made a decision after last year that I was going traditional this season. I may get and OTC rifle tag for elk for 2nd season. We will see.

Pulled a deer tag for northern CO. Only put in for deer this year as I want to shoot PRB and unfortunately, CO has become overwhelmed with dumb people who think a .50 PRB can't kill an elk. 🤦‍♂️
Apparently we have the Commiefornia crowd running the CPW division. They have not the capability to think!!

I guess it's been at least 17 or 18 years since I hunted with a modern gun. Use to alternate them with MLs then finally went straight ML.

Congratulations on your tag. I've got a lottery for Maine moose but only about 150 or less go to "out ta stats".

Thanks. I think me and the wife are planning on settling in Maine within the next 5ish years. I am originally from PA and grew up in the Appalachians. Colorado is beautiful, but their politics are bullshit and model themselves after comifornia. I like the mountains here, but miss the northeast and all it's great hunting and fishing.

Thanks. I think me and the wife are planning on settling in Maine within the next 5ish years. I am originally from PA and grew up in the Appalachians. Colorado is beautiful, but their politics are bullshit and model themselves after comifornia. I like the mountains here, but miss the northeast and all it's great hunting and fishing.

Maine is a beautiful state. I love it. Great hunting and fishing. Democratic governor right now. Politics divided, (big surprise? Not!)
Liberal in the south and around Portland. Conservative in the north woods and THE county. Mixed in the middle but more conservative.

Problem is the Portland, south crowd, some coastal transplants are starting to outnumber the "traditional mainers".

Certainly the "non traditional outdoor recreational pusuits" becoming bigger part of northern ecomomy. Great choice in my opinion. Not to disparage Colorado in any way. Been there once, Dolores area. Beautiful there. Flown over acouple of times as well. Looked incredible.

I drew my usual private land only Colorado doe deer tag. Easy ambush hunt within a half hour of home. This is a population control hunt, too many deer for the habitat along this part of the Front Range. If we ever have a real winter again there will be a lot of starving animals.

Didn't draw for pronghorn, haven't heard yet on elk. How I long for the days when seasons were separate, and long enough to hunt multiple weekends. Spouse used to buy me the Sportsman's License as a birthday present, fishing, small game, state parks pass and big game all in one.

Well, I'm a Georgia Cracker living in Maine for the past two years. It fells rather relaxed up here and the turkey hunting is excellent+. Deer are another story. I miss the 12 deer limit in Georgia. Here in Maine the basic limit is one buck per year. There are lotteries for a doe tag, one of which I drew last year. I just only got out once and drew a blank. Moose are out of my league and will forever be out of my reach. Being disabled sure sucks in this case.

Concealed carry is legal in Maine with or without a permit - I love that, although I do plan to get a permit at some point. What I don't like is the shotgun only turkey rule. I'd much prefer to use my .40 flintlock. So Mine is not bad at all if you're a shooter/hunter/reenactor. But if you like to hunt deer and take a bunch of them while wearing just a long sleeve shirt, hunt turkey/coyote/bobcat/squirrels and more Georgia can't be beat; actually the Deep South in general.

Dont yhink youll like the politics in maine either.

Maybe, but at least Maine has better fishing, better turkey hunting, green forests, lakes and reservoirs that aren't drained to mud puddles and doesn't catch on fire from a squirrel fart....and the one thing I like....less people.

Maybe, but at least Maine has better fishing, better turkey hunting, green forests, lakes and reservoirs that aren't drained to mud puddles and doesn't catch on fire from a squirrel fart....and the one thing I like....less people.

Maine has better fishing than Colorado?? I don't agree. We don't have green timber??

If Maine was better it wouldn't have fewer people.

LongRifle makes a good point. Up here the .40 is legal for deer, etc. But only shot is allowed for turkey. My favorite Maine thing IS small population! Colorado is too crowded; that's why nobody moves there. :cheers:

You just need to know where to hunt and fish. I can do both and never see another person. However, i'm not afraid to go to difficult areas to get to.

What's easy will always be popular.

[QUOTE?="bobbythehunter, post: 122275, member: 603"]
Congratulations on your tag. I've got a lottery for Maine moose but only about 150 or less go to "out ta stats".
[/QUOTE]
A moose hunt is a BIG deal from field to freezer. What firearm would you plan to use, and what is your game plan should you get lucky on the hunt?

Back