Pulled a muzzleloader deer tag!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maine has better fishing than Colorado?? I don't agree. We don't have green timber??

If Maine was better it wouldn't have fewer people.

Yes, Maine has better fishing, hands down, and if you dont think so, you haven't fished there.

Sure we have patches of green timber between the burn scars, dead brown grass and beetle kill.

Last edited:
You just need to know where to hunt and fish. I can do both and never see another person. However, i'm not afraid to go to difficult areas to get to.

What's easy will always be popular.

I know where to fish and hunt and have zero issues going where people are not and areas not easily gotten to.....so I am not sure what your point is there.

Maine has better fishing than Colorado?? I don't agree. We don't have green timber??

If Maine was better it wouldn't have fewer peo
[QUOTE?="bobbythehunter, post: 122275, member: 603"]
Congratulations on your tag. I've got a lottery for Maine moose but only about 150 or less go to "out ta stats".
A moose hunt is a BIG deal from field to freezer. What firearm would you plan to use, and what is your game plan should you get lucky on the hunt?
Marty I Pulled a tag in 2001. My friend (who happens to be a Maine guide) hunted together. Shot a 650 pound bull and hauled it out with a chainsaw winch. Had a butcher lined up in advance. I used my left handed model 700 bdl in 7mm rem mag. I would use that rifle again. I've been on two other hunts with same friend as sub-permittee. We were one for 2. The other year he passed up a small bull and we ate tag soup.

I have never fished ColoRado bit can agree with longrifle there some great fishing in Maine. Lots of beautiful Brook trout water. Great lake trout and landlocked salmon. Muskies and pike as well which they want to eradicate. Good stripers I'm summer and great smallmouth bass. Smelt as well

Last edited:
Pulled a deer tag for northern CO. Only put in for deer this year as I want to shoot PRB and unfortunately, CO has become overwhelmed with dumb people who think a .50 PRB can't kill an elk. 🤦‍♂️

We are lucky here in Montana... we do have a minimum at 45 cal, but can hunt the whole season with a muzzleloader if we like. Glad I have a .54 cal muzzleloader

I currently have 27 Elk preference points for Colorado. I am hoping to do a muzzleloader hunt in one of the northwest units in a few years from now. I plan on using one of my .50 cal Renegades with a 460 gr Bullshop conical.
If any of you gents have first hand knowledge of that corner of the state that you would like to share, I would certainly appreciate it.

I know where to fish and hunt and have zero issues going where people are not and areas not easily gotten to.....so I am not sure what your point is there.

What was your point when you complained that Colorado has too many people? Who cares if we can find solitude when hunting and fishing?

Yes, i've fished and hunted Maine. I was born and brought up in Mass. I'll take Colorado.

This is where I hunt. It looks pretty green to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 3
My favorite Maine thing is small population! Colorado is too crowded; that's why nobody moves there. :cheers:
The biggest issues for Colorado is property taxes, gas tax, road tax, school taxes: these issues keep many of us that moved from Colorado for better jobs way back when, now considering about moving back home to Colorado. Population issues is a front range thing ask muzzleloader48 or Jonathan. All our friends repeat the taxes issues everytime we talk to them .... :rolleyes: --Seems -----Seems taxes mentioned are never used for what they were called - all go to the school fund...----:coffee:

I am not saying that Colorado isn't beautiful. Sure, it has green areas and dark timber, clear mountain lakes, etc. I am not saying I don't like the hunting or fishing here, I just feel it's better (in some aspects) in other places.

I guess my issues are with the CDOW and not really the state. The CDOW couldn't manage game if someone did it for them, and they would still f*ck it up. And the more B.S. laws they put into place that limit my ability to hunt really deters me, just like the caliber restriction for a ML round ball. That is absolute B.S., but because some anti or stiff in a suit either complained or made a statement, they changed the rule.

When I complain that CO has too many people, yeah, it's probably where I live (northern front range), but the areas everywhere in CO are exploding in population. I don't like it.

I agree the DOW doesn't know what they're doing. When they changed the law about a PRB I called them up asking who the fool was who came up with that law. Just like always, it fell to deaf ears. Same deal with having a real a primitve muzzleloader season. They actually think it's primitive now because they don't allow sabots, pellets, and scopes. I tried to explain that's just a small apart of it. Deaf ears again.

Seems some Californians left their state for a better life, then come to CO, UT and ID. Cheaper real estate and lower cost of living than their previous homes. Left their home state because of new laws, then they get involved with new locations and start to inject their old issues into new location. !@#$%^

the.jpg

So what do you Colorado guys carry while ML hunting? Gear, type of pack, etc. I have a good backpack and a small canvass shoulder bag. But I want to slim down what I take out hunting and leave some of the non essential crap in camp.

I'm too old to camp anymore but i'm lucky enough to live close to where I hunt. So, all my hunts are day hunts. I just wear a small day pack that's blaze orange. That way I don't have to worry about getting a ticket from a grumpy warden for covering up my orange vest.

All I need in the pack is what I need for the day. Food, water, knife, game bags, rain gear, and a small sled to drag out the meat. It's plastic and rolls up to a tube. It fits in the pack. I find it easier to drag out the meat on the sled than wear a bigger pack and put the meat on my back. Crappy back can't handle it anymore.

So what do you Colorado guys carry while ML hunting? Gear, type of pack, etc. I have a good backpack and a small canvass shoulder bag. But I want to slim down what I take out hunting and leave some of the non essential crap in camp.
All I need in my small shoulder bag is what I need for the day. Food, water, knife, game bags, rain gear, and a few fresh apples. I'm like Pete - "too old for camping" but still able to sit all night (lean back on a tree) and tend a small camp fire. Hunt with an old friend so there's help with getting meat out. :thumbs up:

Due to physical disabilities I'm unable to travel much in the bush. I'm also unable to be out and hunt for more than 3 to 5 hours in the morning. I also have to carry with me a lightweight, fabric folding seat. I have great difficulty getting down to sit on the ground and even more difficulty getting up; the folding seat is perfect. With that being the case I carry at most a 6" X 6" hunting bag with supplies for 5 shots. If after squirrels I'll always add a day horn and several small caliber ball, since more shooting is inherent to small game hunting.

Due to physical disabilities I'm unable to travel much in the bush. I'm also unable to be out and hunt for more than 3 to 5 hours in the morning. I also have to carry with me a lightweight, fabric folding seat. I have great difficulty getting down to sit on the ground and even more difficulty getting up; the folding seat is perfect.

I hear you Hanshi, experiencing similar problems now. Both knees need to be replaced, now waiting for my name to come-up for operations. Who said "It's going to be fun being retired", like hell it is .... :cheers:

That's why I like to hunt the timber. I can always find a log to sit on. Which I do a lot now. I think i'm going to struggle kneeing down to skin and quarter a deer. Like you guys, getting up has gotten hard. It's like my legs fall asleep after a couple of minutes. They have no strength. Getting old is a cruel joke on us.

I used to do squats with heavy weights. What happened??

I hear you Pete and Hanshi. Have lost 40% blood flow in my legs with diabetes working on feet that are alway numb. Like said "you have to be tuff when getting old". :cheers:

I do a lot of walking when I hunt. I am not afraid to put the boots to the ground.

This what I currently carry:

ML supplies.
1. Quickloads (x4)
2. Small tool kit including nipple pick, etc.
3. Extra measured powder, some extra patches, a few extra round balls, caps.

Emergency:
1. Emergency Blanket
2. whistle
3. water proof matches
4. magnesium striker (if run out of matches)
5. small capsule of ibuprofen
6. small med kit

Other gear:
1. rain poncho
2. knife (usually more than one as one is on my belt at all times (one in pack)
3. head lamp with extra batteries
4. extra pair of glasses in hard case.
5. extra pair of wool socks
6. **** paper
7. water and some edible provisions
8. small roll of paracord
9. compass / maps of area
10. life straw and a metal cup if the need arises to boil water

I spent time in the service, so my packing skills for my gear are second to none. I have all of this neatly packed and arranged so that the daily stuff can be used without dislodging everything else. My pack is also balanced in weight as to not pull on one shoulder or another and making walking easier. My pack is blaze orange and is a small "day pack".

I also have a small canvass shoulder bag or possibles bag, depending on what you call it, that all of this will fit into. But I like to use the pack as much as I can as I do get into areas that most won't go. I also have an Alaskan guide creations bino chest bag that I sometimes take that holds a few items right up front so that I don't have to take the pack all the time.

All in all, I keep it pretty simple and as light weight as I can. One thing I was told in the Army was,
'ounces turn into pounds and pounds turn into f*cking heavy".

I also don't use a sling for my KLR. I hand carry it always. I do have paracord in my gear that I can fashion a sling out of if the need arises, but I have not had to do so ever.

Last edited:
My signature has a picture of my KLR in .50. I am possibly thinking of adding a .54 to my collection. My problem is that I don't like the half stocks and will only use/field full stocked rifles. Who makes an ML in .54 with a full stock that won't break the bank? I prefer percussion.

Back