Pure Raw Power

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Had to be at least 30lbs,snapped brand new 20 lb trilene big game. Striper, never saw her. A few days ago. Bummer.

You gotta fish Power Pro braided!!! Use a long shock leader to the main line for the stretch. Ida liked to seen a pic of you with that fish :eek: ... better luck next time :wink:

Rifleman...here is a full explanation of a shock leader...

http://www.stripers247.com/shockleader2.htm

However, I do not believe Jim is talking about a conventional shock leader. I think he would suggest one that is no more than a few feet. In that case it does not serve the purpose of a true shock leader. Yet, it may still provide some extra stretch, reduced visibilty, easy of replacement etc.

JC is correct in saying I would recommend one shorter. Essentially braided line is very strong for it's diameter but it has virtually no stretch. When I troll with wire line there is definetly no stretch so I use a 6'-8' leader attached to my main line via a suitable barrel swivel. The stuff I use to use, was made by a company called Varivas and was biodegradeable. The shock leader absorbs the hit of a fish with its stretchability. I don't know what the statistics are for the "stretch factor" when you compare fluorocarbon and straight monafilament. You didn't describe your rigging and I know you like to keep such sworn secrets close to the vest. It would be prudent to research some type of rigging that allows for some more stretch between your main line and terminal tackle. It makes it more difficult for the fish to break the line as they shake their head. Stripers are very powerful fish. One look at their massive tail and this is evident. If you tell me what poundage you are looking for, I'll pick you up some shock leader material made by a Japenese company that I used this year. It's great stuff!!!

Ah my rig was no big deal, main line 20 lb trilene, 2 slip sinkers 1.5 oz each and a bead then a barrel swivel,then 5 foot 20lb trilene big game and a 1 oz white bucktail.

Just as a point of reference I fish 40lb Powerpro main line, and 50lb Diamond brand monofilament leaders.
I fish both chunk baits and live baits with the same rig. I will often through lures with the Powerpro as well.
I regularly catch fish from as small as 12" to as large as 45" with this setup.

I would suggest trying 30lb powerpro, and at least 30lb mono for your situation....

I agree with the higher test main line - I wouldn't be afraid of using 40# main line, but keep in mind the thicker the line, the longer the line needs to be away from the boat to keep the same depth. Flouro from swivel back.

Where did the line break, near the jig or in front of the barrel swivel?

Dwight:

Since Flourocarbon is a LOT less visible in the water to fish, you could go with a heavier # test Flouro as a leader and not give up any visibility. I hear that it's a bit more abrasion resistant than straight mono too..... That might help if the jig gets eaten far enough so their teeth scrape on the line.

Just my $.02 worth. It's worth what you paid for it!! :)

I tried some Floro awhile back and it would break if I got a backlash on my casting reel, hmm not to confidence inspiring.

This may be a dumb question but, ever tried a metal leader?

Heck I don't know if that is dumb or not as they are some pretty big fish and trolling 3 mph in murky water a guy might get away with it.

Starting September when the blues come in, we live line bunker on wire leaders with treble hooks in the tail and octupuse hooks in the mouth. Needless to say the striped ones suck em down like candy....wire leader and all.

Latest posts

Back