QLA removed? Results?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am considering having the QLA removed from my Omega to see if it will shoot conicals any better. Anyone have 1st hand experiece that this has helped? Cost involved? Can't see any downside other than the cost. It now shoots NE 460 grain conicals with a 8" group at 25 yards. Couldn't get any worse. It will shoot powerbelts OK with pyrodex and lower amounts of 777 (of course I get a crud ring with 777).

Check with underclocked, he had the QLA removed from at least one TC rifle. I have owned three TC muzzleloaders with QLA and haven't had a problem with them, but then again they shoot sabots very well, the one exception was the Encore .45, couldn't get it to shoot conicals except the powerbelts.

The best conical shooting TC muzzleloaders I have owned have been and still are the .54 FireHawk and .50 System 1 with 1:38 twist.

The Black Diamond is also "known" to shoot full bore conicals well.

An 8 in. group at 25 yards???

What's wrong with the rifle? I wouldn't be cutting the barrel, I'd be sending it back to T/C.

Sent it back. Wrote a detailed note that I was only interested in shooting conicals since I hunt Colorado. All they did was shoot sabots through it. Got the rifle back with a note: 100 gr pyrodex, sabot (was named but don't remember it), 1-3/4 inch group at 100 yards. Called the tech that looked at it. He said, "Well, it is a sabot gun"

Sell it and get a White! :D You won't be unhappy with it's performance shooting conicals! :yeah:

You still haven't shot it yet? Man you have will power. Mine was about 3hrs. old when the first shot went through it! :D

Do a search for precision rifleworks and go to their forum. They do the proceedure and have had great luck with it, join the forum and see if anyone of them shoots conicals. Good honest prople, very high quality work. Hope that helps.

rks1949 said:
You still haven't shot it yet? Man you have will power. Mine was about 3hrs. old when the first shot went through it! :D

I got a new ULA right before hunting season. That was my main priority. I already had owned an Encore.

I had the QLA removed from my Encore last year in an attempt to get that 1" group. I had David White do it. David did a wonderful job. The crown looks very good. I would recomend his work.

If yours is off center then you might need it removed. Mine was off, but not by very much at all.

When all is said and done, I would not do it again. I think it was around $130 total with shipping. It shot a LITTLE better with it removed, but not drastically so. The ramrod will need to be shortened and replacements then become a problem. The sights will need to be moved or removed. I just had mine removed. And of course you can kiss your factory warrantee goodbye.
Mine had already been sent back to T/C with the standard "we shot it and got a 1 3/4 inch group" letter.

In the end I loaded up with 3 pellets and a 250 SW and went hunting. I could buy a lot of SW's with $130 bucks. :D

Ethan

Latest posts

Back