Ramrod Snapped Off

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T/Cs are good guns for sure, I've had 3 or 4 over the decades and they do hold their value. I had one in percussion and three in flint. IMHO, the locks and DSTs were no better than what Investarms put out, which I usually swap out anyway for L&R offerings.

The main point I make about all these guns, and why I lump T/C and offshore together, is that damnable patent breech plug.

Not a CVA you won’t. Bobby Hoyt apparently knows how to do it but your average gunsmith is gonna be disappointed when he gets in there and realizes he might not get it back together.

Bobby's real good! He's reamed out more than a few bbls for me and all were top notch jobs. I once had a used Traditions - what I consider the worst of all trad side locks in terms of their breech plugs - that even my good tooling couldn't separate and Bobby said "No worries, I'll make it happen", and he did.

However, if the gun is a T/C or Investarms, any gunsmith will have no problem removing the breech plug.

Thanks for all the help.

Again I don't have any info on how it got this way or what's been done prior. It is a CVA .50 cal, barrel is made in Spain, not sure about the lock or stock. It's percussion, not flint and looking at the nipple it looks like it was never fired. Makes sense since the stock is still unfinished, but I'm NOT assuming anything. I live in new jersey so finding a good ML gunsmith or any gunsmith is like hitting the powerball!

I'll start with the CO2 discharge .......if that doesn't cure it, it's on to the grease gun and zerk fitting through the nipple seat.

here's what I'm looking at>>>>>>>>

thanks again for all your help..........

Attachments

• cva1.jpg
    cva1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 34
  • cva2.jpg
    cva2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
I would buy the longest drill bit I could find, then spin it by hand in to the rod, then try a long screw, grip that with some pliers and give it a pull

From the picture, it looks like a CVA Frontier. Probably from the late 80's or early 90's. 26" barrel?
1/48 twist barrel. Good for patched round balls or lead conical bullets.

You could also unscrew the nipple and fill the drum with black powder. Reinstall the nipple and blast that ramrod out. You'll need a new ramrod afterwards.

Yep, it is a Frontier. Might try the the black powder idea if all else fails.

I have a few long drill bits. Yet another option.

thanks folks.

Yep, it is a Frontier. Might try the the black powder idea if all else fails.

I have a few long drill bits. Yet another option.

thanks folks.
I'd stick with the less risky stuff first (CO2/grease). If that drill bit starts into the lands you now have a dinged up bore in what is essentially a new gun (assuming the bore looks how the outside of the gun looks)

Don't pussyfoot around with it any longer, just cap and cock the hammer and fire that sucker out and be done with it.

What? Nothing happened, no powder in the chamber? Unscrew the nipple and force in powder, the finest BP granularity you have, recap, blast away.

Looking at the picture, my main concern with shooting it out would be that there is a ball/bullet stuck in there under the ramrod.

I would try a small wire pulling grip (Chinese finger) used in electrical work to hold cables while pulling through conduit. Shooting it out might cause a barrel bulge. It sounds like a stuck cleaning jag, if it were a bullet stuck the broken rod would fall out. I know Lowes has them, just use the smallest size that will feed down over the rod.

BrushBlind - I Like the Chinese finger idea. Are they thin enough to get around the rod?

If all else fails, a few grains of ffff/goex at the range. This one will wait until after the season.

Thanks again for all the help, stay safe and have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

phil

Just saw this thread. What if the rod broke off half way in as he was seating the RB which means there would be a load of BP with a large cavity of space between it and the RB and if you try to shoot out the rod via firing it wouldn't that be a very bad thing?

Latest posts

Back