ramrods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can having those rod connectors and the rod hanging on the barrel make it more accurate? To me again coming from my center fire background harmonic's have a lot to do with long range accuracy in my mind I don't want anything hanging on my gun I would rather have a collapsible rod if I could choose to use with every muzzleloader,if I'm designing my own muzzleloader it sure isn't going to have hanging off the barrel, understand traditionally why hung off a barrel, I had to Remington ultimate muzzleloader I had trouble with both of them out of the box I took the hangers off bedded them in wooden stocks and they both shot a lot better. When I'm in my deer stand mine is going to be sitting right beside me where I can grab it as quick as possible,but if I'm taking some pictures or looking groovy it's going to be in the gun maybe

I use a range rod exclusively at the range, but the rammer is always on the rifle.
I don't think in or out matters. What DOES matter is its position. The rammer must be in a consistent position shot to shot. The last thing I check, before putting the rifle on the rest, is the rammer all the way seated.
Capandball ,on YouTube, showed that this can matter. He was shooting a Lorenze musket and found that with the rammer against its forward stop, the shot went higher than when it was fully seated. The rifle was also more accurate with the rammer against the forward stop.
Once again a basic lesson is confirmed. Consistency is require for accuracy.
As my rammer is in when hunting, its in when I'm at the range too.
I follow the capnball guy on YT as well

To be honest though I've had five or six cva 50 cal 1 and 28 some shot the same with the rod end or out and some shot different I think it's worth experimenting with

Muzzleloaders.com sells the CVA collapsible ramrod. This rod, I believe, has slip fit joints.

Another option is to look at the SpinJag site, for they sell a 4-pc, solid aluminum ramrod with 10-32 threads on both ends. This rod has 10-32 threaded joints.
Thanks Bruce.....

A lot late to this discussion... but I am one of those that always has the gun run in the rifle while hunting. At the range or even recreational shooting the gun rod is under the barrel as it should be. For myself I have proven to myself in the hunting situation it doesn't make enough difference to worry about it. There are far more variables that you have very little control over to worry about the gun rod. And as someone has already at the range shooting I use a very good Lehigh Range Rod for loading. The rod is in when shooting 25 yards or 200 yards, and on few occasions out to 250 yards.

You may or may not be suprised . I know im not wasteing my time in doing it . Ive tested , i saw . Ive also grown to like it out on stand if needed for use . I try to make that unneeded but ya never know . Accuracy afield means Alot more to me than shooting paper . Its my thing and i figure i owe the deer that much to be quick and painless as possible !!!

I'm sure its possible that without ramrod I could attain more accuracy, possibly. However for me - and at the ranges I hunt/shoot (sub 150yds, and most sub 100) I'm already shooting MOA in most of my rifles with my ramrod in, and honestly, that is good enough for me. It ain't never cost me yet in my 30+ yrs of hunting and dozens of kills with a ML. As I said, if I was shooting longer ranges or competition, I might worry about it. As it is, I know if I have a good rest...as long as I do my part its game over. :lewis:

And yes, its always whatever works for you.... that's what I love about ML! Alot of variables and different preferences.

A bench, rest, bags and in some cases that funny thing that holds a rifle is used for accurate shooting.
Lord I hope all the above isn’t used by ANY hunter.
Even doing a comparison rod vs no rod on the bench isn’t the way we hunt.
Pretty mute point to me.

How long is it muzzy , that cva job ?? Does it work for a 24 to 26 " barrel ?? I wanna put a spin jag on it too so thats a couple extra inches . Are better ones available ??? The Accura has a long barrel does it work on those ???
Yes works with the Accura now. 25" as sold. 31" with the extra section in it.

I agree with Bruce with the use of the Spin Jag rod and Jag itself. Fact is I carry this take down rod in a fanny pack while hunting. I do not think I have ever used the ram rod on the gun to reload. As noted in previous thread rod always in the gun.

Yes works with the Accura now. 25" as sold. 31" with the extra section in it.
I havent been able to find anything better. I may try to make something from scratch if i can find the right materials. You cant put a spinjag on it cuz the jag wont come off of the first section. The palmsaver will come off the last section.

I like to hunt as primitive as I can and I don't mean traditional, I mean just crude and simple, again most mornings the last couple of seasons I've just grab my CVA Acura mountain rifle rod in and hit the woods, however when I sit down against a tree or a bush I pull that rod out,,I might set for an hour or two and get up and walk a quarter-mile soon as I get up I put that rod back in the gun and of course if I'm walking and walk up on a big buck and I'm going to shoot him I'm not going to think in my mind oh let me pull this rod out first I'm going to shoulder the rifle and shoot that deer rod in,, but at the same time I target shoot a lot , rod out,, all of that time shooting on a front rest in a rear bag to me is about being constantly connected to my trigger and my trigger pull,,I want to know when I'm slipping through that creek bottom that I can rely on the confidence of that trigger pull and my shooting mechanics in that moment when I actually pull that trigger following through hitting the target. I have known many excellent Target shooters that couldn't hit live game they couldn't handle adrenaline and the moment of the hunt, I do agree in those moments when the hearts pounding and the adrenaline's pumping doesn't really matter whether that rod is in or out .looks to me like age of us kind of develops our own little twerks about things like that I think that's cool in a great part of the uniqueness of muzzleloading

I havent been able to find anything better. I may try to make something from scratch if i can find the right materials. You cant put a spinjag on it cuz the jag wont come off of the first section. The palmsaver will come off the last section.
I heard of guys making collapsibles from tent materials but ive never seen what was done . Ive always wondered about that and just where they got the stuff to do it . Amazing what can be done at times when desire is high !!!

The barrel probably makes a difference too. An inline has a pretty thin light barrel and a stiff ramrod. A sidelock has a heavy thick barrel and a flexible wooden ramrod. I use the latter and have a hard time believing the wood rod can make much difference to a hunter. I'm already carrying a bunch of stuff when hunting. I don't need to add a collapsable ramrod to it.

A target shooter is completely different and there's no reason for them to have a ramrod on the gun.

I heard of guys making collapsibles from tent materials but ive never seen what was done . Ive always wondered about that and just where they got the stuff to do it . Amazing what can be done at times when desire is high !!!
desire, or boredom and the mind is looking for an outlet for creativity or just trying to keep busy

Ive got a few tent poles i was going to try to make something with but they are just too crude for my liking. Strong, but the steel couplers are hideous.

Back