ramrods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The barrel probably makes a difference too. An inline has a pretty thin light barrel and a stiff ramrod. A sidelock has a heavy thick barrel and a flexible wooden ramrod. I use the latter and have a hard time believing the wood rod can make much difference to a hunter. I'm already carrying a bunch of stuff when hunting. I don't need to add a collapsable ramrod to it.

A target shooter is completely different and there's no reason for them to have a ramrod on the gun.
Some of the Whites supposedly had an issue with an under rib or something. I think my Renegade looks better w/o a rib or thimbles. I just like to make my guns distinct. Even if just alil bit different. I may only use it as a target gun anyway.

It would seem to me we all hunt possibly a bit differently with different mz's and conditions . I know i definately usually dont hunt from a shack style deer blind . However i also have . Once was during our Dec mz season and it was COLD . My much older friend offered it to me that day . It had heat , a bench , a rest , a cooler with sandwich stuff , even a toilet of sorts . It overlooked a alfalfa planting for my older friend . Many here are a bit older too and such a spot would definately keep them enjoying hunts for much longer too . Im GLAD he had that for himself and offered it to me that day .
Ive also used a shooting stick set up when helpfull .
One rifle i USED to own would pull its shots 5 to 6 inches with the ramrod in at 100yds AND not be consistant with that either . I got TIRED of its alignment/pressure shenanigans , the result of shoddy qc on IT , and broomed it . Yes i shot it not being in While i had it . Glad its Gone .
For anyone faced with a mz that it falls out of Ethical Accuracy requirements for You this in or out thing is INDEED VALID . Our own situation is indeed OURS .
To Not TRY to see what Another may be faced with is counter productive for all . This Truth should be self evident .
For those that have no issues with the ramrod in thats Awesome !!! The rest really needs to be looked at with an appropriate light .

Some of the Whites supposedly had an issue with an under rib or something. I think my Renegade looks better w/o a rib or thimbles. I just like to make my guns distinct. Even if just alil bit different. I may only use it as a target gun anyway.

A muzzleloader without a ramrod or thimbles looks like a CF rifle. Not the look i'm after.

I think the renegade would have a hard time passing for a cf. Im looking for some kind of stock wrap for it. American flag or camo maybe, idk. Just needs to be different from every other one out there, for me. I may cerakote the barrel too, someday. I really wish i could get it chrome plated. That would be cool. Anyway. I made my own brass range rod and thats what i like to use with the rene. Polished up and with a walnut handle it looks good with the renegade.

I learned from bow hunting a number of years ago to do the same thing at the range as you would hunting. I even shoot out of my ground blind with my muzzle loading shotgun when no one else is at the range. Doing it the same way at range as you do hunting saves a lot of mistakes in the field.

Just how I've always done it.

I think the renegade would have a hard time passing for a cf. Im looking for some kind of stock wrap for it. American flag or camo maybe, idk. Just needs to be different from every other one out there, for me. I may cerakote the barrel too, someday. I really wish i could get it chrome plated. That would be cool. Anyway. I made my own brass range rod and thats what i like to use with the rene. Polished up and with a walnut handle it looks good with the renegade.

Sure it can. A lot of early CF rifles had octagon barrels. The first thing you look for when you look at a rifle is the ramrod to show it's a muzzleloader. Especially from a distance. I don't know of any muzzleloader that doesn't use a ramrod or any CF gun that does.

I know where to get that Renegade nickel plated and buffed so it shines just like chrome !!! ALL the metal in fact !!! I also know where to get your stock hydro-dipped in a bright shiney American flag if thats what youd want too !!! I saw a pattern that looked like it was just a blowin in the breeze !!! You gonna scope it too ??? I bet we could get something done with that too if you wanna !!! Look Real Good with that range rod you got !!! Very Distinct !!!

here's the 3 piece rod I sell that is bungied together. It's very sturdy.

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/3-piece-ramrod-with-sheath-bore-guide/
As far as ramrod in our out of gun on an attached rod... if not properly installed, it can make a huge difference in point of impact. Most factory guns just have a spring in stock that pushes rod into barrel. So in our out changes pressure/harmonics of barrel. On the customs that I build, I have a system that doesn't push ramrod into barrel. So in our out, the point of impact is the same. From what I've seen, accuracy isn't impacted a ton by the pressure. So on a factory system, it's just important to be consistent--in or out all the time!

I sighted in these 6 guns last week. All 6 groups are 2 shots with ramrod in and 1 shot ramrod out.

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.17.33 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.17.40 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.17.47 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.17.54 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.18.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.18.01 PM.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.18.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 3.18.11 PM.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1
I found a nice piece of steel in my garage that i think im gonna turn into a dedicated stuck bullet puller. It's 5/16"x31". Nice and straight. It will be perfect for attaching some changable puller jags and a handle that i can attach to a small slide hammer. If it turns out right i can loan it out to whoever might need it.

i believe it makes a difference in accuracy. Shotgun rods are stronger because of the larger thread size. I've had brass ramrods bend and break at the threads, I ordered an adapter from Eastern Maine shooting supplies to convert a shotgun ramrod into a muzzleloader ramrod. I then cut the rod to the right length for my rifle, and rethreaded the end to fit the handle. That way it fits in my pack, and only requires one threaded section to be screwed together. On most ramrods, you're screwing a spinjag or something on anyway. I've never been in a position where I needed a quick second shot. I know it can happen, but it never has for me. I clean between shots, so a snap together rod won't work.

I have one of Ben Hubbard's ramrods for my Sidekick; SO much better than the OEM rod. It has a brass extension that unscrews from within the outer brass body when I pull it out of the channel to use it, though I leave it collapsed at first for strength & seat the bullet as far as I can that way before extending it to finish the job, just so I don't accidentally apply any radial force on the thinner brass inner rod when it's not surrounded by barrel to keep it from possibly bending.

I don't remember the thread size on the jag end, but since I only use this rod to reload in the field (something I've only had to do 3 times in a dozen years) shooting BH209 & saboted SST-MLs, I've never worried about replacing Hubbard's supplied seating jag. Hubbard's jag fits through the ferrule & into the forend channel just fine, which makes it a bit undersized for swabbing but that's an obviously unavoidable tradeoff. I unscrewed it once long enough to clean the threads and apply a tiny dot of blue Loctite, since its recess fits SSTs very nicely. But the whole rod also fits into my pack just fine too, so that's where I keep it when hunting. Nice knurled aluminum handle caps the end opposite the jag.

It's simple enough, but still a really good piece of workmanship. Anyone else in here ever used a Ben Hubbard crafted tool or part?

Last edited:
Back