Random thoughts about conicals, gas checks and wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
I know someone sold Moses (sp) bullets and even Doc White offered some conicals with gas checks on them Always wondered if it worth the effort to try something like this when using BH209 for the powder. The only real problem im seeing is will they be too tight or too loose. In other words how would it effect the sizing needed? Whats gunna happen when you size a real soft lead conical down enough for the gas check to fit right?

How would a gas check affect the need for a wad and what wads would be the best to use with it? A soft lead base might be better with a wool but the much harder copper alloy gas check might not?

Target shooting i can see using a harder alloy for this and some issues might have less of a negative effect? Using the right lube and alloy you might even be able to get pretty impressive speeds in a 45 or 40 without any leading.

I have looked at a few molds made for bullets to use gas checks. If i do use a GC i would be pushing them as fast as i could and would probably be powder coating them. Trying with and without dif types of wads

Last edited:
Here is Doc's write up and a pretty similar thing. Maybe with another goal in mind than mine so its nothing new.
http://whitemuzzleloading.com/article.php?id=93&title=The+SCS+Sabot+and+SCB+Bullet
His gas check though is a bit different than what you normally find.
44d2b61c-fb5f-4790-8634-cc8e83971ad1.jpg

This is the Mose .451 421gr bullet that someone was selling awhile back.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/preacher-and-mose.34214/
My thoughts are something like this and a poly wad to improve the initial seal to give the bullet time to obturate. Use enough BH209 to gain a little more speed if needed/wanted. We know poly wads work with sabotless jacketed so why not a gas check lead conical too?

Last edited:
I wanted to try GC's in my Whites but had no GC molds at the time and i found a post some where about poking a hole in the GC{you have to make the die and punch out of other dies} and placing it in the mold and cast it then run threw your sizer.They shot great as long as you make sure the GC is sitting flush with the top of the mold before you cast it,it's alitte slower but casting not a race lol.

Thats an interesting way to GC almost any bullet that i already make. It would save the trouble of finding a suitable mold or designing one.I had trouble finding gas checks last year. May be more available now.

I dont cast or anything like that but have wondered with the benefits of sabotless 45 BH209 loads why hardly any mention of 45cal concials with gas checks being used. What are the negatives because im seeing mostly potential positives?

250 are $10 to $50/1000 for 45cal

Im also seeing a couple mentions that a Lee .454 die will crimp a GC to a plain base bullet. Cant see how that is gunna work considering the shank sizes im seeing for GC bullets. I just happen to have a Lee .454 die and a .451

I just cast up 150 bullets. Took me a couple hours and my elbow is sore. Casting with the GC in the mold would keep me from getting into a groove and keeping the mold hot would be a pita. Otherwise i dont see a downside either.

Gas checks are applied during sizing.

Latest posts

Back