Range Day with Great Guys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigAl52

Reaction score
I went to the range today to meet a couple of forum members I had not ever met before. RonC and PlMeek. When I arrived Phil and Ron were already there and had the range already to go. I was anxious to meet both of these guys as Ron had contacted me first via a PM on another forum when I had asked something in a post. Ron wanted to go shooting together and Im always anxious to go shoot. Phil is a collector of GRRW guns and writes articles for a GRRW gazette that is sent to anyone who has interest in GRRW guns by sending an email to Bob Allen another collector of the guns. I was anxious for Phil to see my gun as I had just bought it from Track and received it last wednesday. Im not a good group shooter on paper I would much rather shoot reactive targets. I took 2 guns to the range of course the new GRRW in 50 cal and I just got a TC barrel off of a Renegade back from being punched out to 58 cal by Bob Hoyt. The Renegade barrel is 1 in 60 twist. I only had so much time so I did some work off the bench with the 50 and the 58 and the targets were all shot at 25 yrds. 
img_0210.jpg

This is the target from the GRRW first shot is center the other group to the right is the next four. I was using a 6 oclock hold taking most of the front sight deep into the notch of the rear buckhorn. I need more time to play with this one but was happy with this outing overhaul. I know 25 yards doesnt tell you to much but at least it gave me a little of an idea.
img_0211.jpg

This target is from the 58 caliber the lower group is 5 shots and the upper group is me playing with the sights. Loads I was using is 80 gr of 2F goex with a .20 patch and Hoppes 9 plus as lube. I switch loads after awhile to some swiss 1f and used 90 grains of it. I have about 9 lbs of it I want to use up but it shoots good in the 50 54 and 58.
img_0212.jpg

Last but not least is a photo of 3 GRRW mine is the 50 at the bottom and the 2 others are Phils both 54 caliber. I had a great time with both of these guys and enjoyed the visit and the shoot. Phil and Ron have helped me a bunch and cant thank them both enough for letting me rob them of the knowledge. Im ready to go again and it sure was neat seein a couple of other GRRW rifles. Thanks again to Phil and Ron for a great day I really enjoyed it. Al

Glad you guys had a good time! Great looking rifles all!! :cheers: :bounce:

Al,
I started a similar thread in Off Topic - Free for All. Best I move it here:

Firing flintlocks with fine fellows is fun!

Popping percussions with perspicacious pals is a pleasure.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to shoot traditional muzzleloaders with two top-flight gentlemen, today. BigAL52, Phil and I met at the Ft. Lupton Muzzleloading Club's range in Ft. Lupton, CO. A replica fort has been built near the site right on top of the remains of the original trappers fort.

Between fun banter, muzzleloader talk and history lessons, we actually did sent some lead downrange! :thumbs up: Days like this are a rare pleasure. It was time well spent!

Thank You, Gentlemen,
Ron

:D

That's some great shooting and those rifles are really nice. Glad you guys had a good time. That's what it's all about.

Ray............... :Red tup:

That's great to hear guys! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Are you all getting together for the Rendezvous on the 20th of May?

Glad you guys got together. Having a good time with folks of like persuasion is always enjoyable.

FrontierGander said:
That's great to hear guys! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Are you all getting together for the Rendezvous on the 20th of May?
Jon
I would love to go to this shoot and maybe there is a way. But I wont know for sometime as the guy I work with has vacation that day which leaves no one to run the office. I just need to see if things might work out. Al

Back