Range time with the .50 Knight Mountaineer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Accuracy with my Mountaineer is still not where I want it but having a reason to go to the shooting range is always a good thing. :cool: I think I will try some MMP sabots next time out with the same bullets I've already shot. I'm also thinking about adding pillars and bedding the stock, no loss if if doesn't help, I enjoy doing that kind of work.

100 yards
110gr V. BH209
Win. 209 primers

250gr Hornady FTX, Harvester smooth black sabot
e6lK7mK.jpg

Hornady 200gr .40 cal SST, supplied blue sabot, I think I'm going to try some .40 cal Barnes 195 Expanders and see how they do
x7j6v6E.jpg

Primers are coming out clean after shimming the breech plug
RRZoFAD.jpg

Good luck, certainly ‘minute of deer’(vitals) currently. As posted, I’d try a few other bullets & sabots, the powder charge looks right in the wheelhouse.

I assume you have the trigger adjusted where you want it? What type of scope? As a mid level prairie dogger it’s easier to shoot precisely with a quality, higher mag scope. Then we get to the rifle rest.

Anyway, all that may be covered.

Any idea on what to try to correct the vertical stringing with the SSTs? More powder?

I had the same issue last week with my MK-85 .45. Sorry for getting off topic.

I bought the rifle used and the trigger is very nice, light with no creep. I have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 mounted, I love the 5 inches of eye relief. It's setup the same as my .45 Disc Elite

88BqSVK.jpg

I think more powder may help too, I loaded up some 115gr (V) vials for the next time out.

Any idea on what to try to correct the vertical stringing with the SSTs? More powder?

Very often its caused by the shooter. Breathing control is #1. Loose or inconsistent hold I believe is #2 cause.
Exhale and hold just before i pull the trigger

Could be but lots of factors.
In a post I made of testing Fury 300gr Lead Tips, just 2grs took it from a 3" vertical string to 1 hole using BH209.

Latest posts

Back