Range trip w/ BH 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimpy50

Reaction score
I went to the range early today, after I bought a jug of BH 209. I only have my SST right now, I am waiting for some Barnes MZ stuff to come in the mail. I only fired 4 shots. 1 @ 50 yds. through a clean bore. 120gr. load and 250gr SST. first shot on paper. next shot 1 inch lower. I made the necessary adjustment for elevation and moved to 100 yds. The shots were perfect for elevation but still to the right. the 2 shots at 100 yds were slightly less than 2" centet to center. not as good as I hoped for, but I will be dropping the charge by 5 grs. next time.

range trip was cut short because i had no powder spout to expedite reloading. all 4 of those shots were built improvising a scoop out of cardboard and dumping powder into the lid. I spilled 50 grains or so on the bench, it was time to quit!

My thoughts are the sabots might be a little soft for the powder, so to speak. If anyone has better ideas, let me know!

The 250 grn SST should do fine with a charge of 120 grains of B209 powder, with supplied sabots. Many report they shoot rather well. I have used them a lot hunting with the 50 cal, they about always did the job, but the bullet never looked as pretty as a Barnes after the shot. I think this year I may use the Hornady XTP bullet in a 'crush rib' sabot.

Sounds like you need a few accessories. I use a powder flask, then a clear measure. I usually load up a bunch of 'Lane's tubes' before a range trip, and speedloaders for hunting.

that is a powerful load! I would try 90 grains and work up from there. But it sounds like you know what you're doing and an sure you will figure the powder out. How was ignition in your opinion of the powder?

Cayuga- Ignition was quick and thorough! Plenty of smoke to make it pretty, or maybe it just hung there because of humidity. it had plenty of felt wallop as well.

Muskrat30- what is a lane tube? I may have flinched even,so no real determination has been done, until I get my other accesories, oe of which is a powder spout. I have a U-View powder measure, so i hope it is accurate.

Do you have a powder flask ? It's an added step but to me makes since instead of pouring from one large container into a smaller one

You definitely need a spout. Most places carry them and they are cheap.

Go here to see Lane's Tubes
They work great. You can load up a bunch to take with you, no worrying about loading at the range. I got the tube holder also, makes for a nice setup. I load up to 3 different loads (with 3 diff color caps) and am good to go for a range session. :yeah:

I will be giving Lane some business, as long as a few people here can vouch for him. who else has some good stuff to say about this product?

I have a hundred small and a hundred large lane tubes. Most guys have them, he is on most of the muzzleloading forums. they are quality, and service is fast. definitely good stuff

If your looking at powder flasks for Blackhorn, shy away from the brass style. they are fine for everything else, but BH is a much larger grain extruded powder and the usual CVA style has a much smaller funnel and stopper. Clogging is common and usually often. Tresso is a bit better and has a much better trigger mechanism. The best style for me are the TC clear U-view style with a much wider spout. I always use a flask, but I see a lot of guys just use the funnel on the pound powder bottle. here is an older post on how to improvise a flask out of almost anything http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/f...5&t=24310&p=186290&hilit=powder+spout#p186290

Curly Wolf said:
I will be giving Lane some business, as long as a few people here can vouch for him. who else has some good stuff to say about this product?

Use the gmail email address to reach him. He also sells on ebay, but it would be a tad cheaper if you contact him directly.

Regarding pouring the powder from the jug, use one of these type of spouts

I have a brass powder measure and a t/c u-view powder measure. Both work just fine, I actually prefer my brass one more.

Lane's Vials are the best out there. I also Vouch for him. He is a great guy and ships fast. :D :yeah: You will not regret getting his vials.

Back