Ready for deer season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got my latest order of Hornady xtp 240 grains yesterday.
Up to the range this morning for a few shots.
2 shots at 50 yards. Next 4 at 100. With the exception of that one flyer, high at 11 o'clock, I think I could hit a deer at 100 yards.
I used 75 grains by volume of Triple 7 2f, set off by a Shuetzen musket cap. 20210731_090602.jpg20210731_090602.jpg

During the flintlock era German nobility hunted Russian boar on horseback, and on foot, using very short barreled flintlock rifles called Stutz. The barrels ranged in length from 9" long to 18" long. There's a YouTube channel called Cap and Ball, which is a Hungarian professor that shoots all kinds of antique original muzzleloading guns, as well as modern replicas. A year or so ago, he had a video up of an original Stutz Jaeger flintlock rifle in .66 caliber (?) with a 13" barrel. These guns were stocked just like a full size rifle, except for the very short barrel. It looked so tiny, but in the hands of a competent rifleman, these short barreled rifles can reach out to 100 yards with ease.

During the flintlock era German nobility hunted Russian boar on horseback, and on foot, using very short barreled flintlock rifles called Stutz. The barrels ranged in length from 9" long to 18" long. There's a YouTube channel called Cap and Ball, which is a Hungarian professor that shoots all kinds of antique original muzzleloading guns, as well as modern replicas. A year or so ago, he had a video up of an original Stutz Jaeger flintlock rifle in .66 caliber (?) with a 13" barrel. These guns were stocked just like a full size rifle, except for the very short barrel. It looked so tiny, but in the hands of a competent rifleman, these short barreled rifles can reach out to 100 yards with ease.
I love that guy. I think I even saw that video once.

I swabbed after each shot, so I didn't see any. I have noticed that for some reason, the triple 7 seems to grab onto the breech plug. Definitely got to keep it well lubed.

Normally....??? when shooting percussion caps, the 'crud ring" is not a problem at all. I have gone 15 shots without swabbing. If you use T7-3f especially in that short barrel it even burns quicker and cleaner! Musket caps certainly work work but I have totally switched to #11 Mag cap or even better the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap. Combine that with the correct fitting nipple you can make the breech nearly water proof.

Black blowback deposit on the plug is normal. I use a blue Teflon tape to prevent the breech plug from sticking/sieging in the breech. For myself much easier to clean versus the grease.

That really is a good looking weapon!

Normally....??? when shooting percussion caps, the 'crud ring" is not a problem at all. I have gone 15 shots without swabbing. If you use T7-3f especially in that short barrel it even burns quicker and cleaner! Musket caps certainly work work but I have totally switched to #11 Mag cap or even better the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075+ cap. Combine that with the correct fitting nipple you can make the breech nearly water proof.

Black blowback deposit on the plug is normal. I use a blue Teflon tape to prevent the breech plug from sticking/sieging in the breech. For myself much easier to clean versus the grease.

That really is a good looking weapon!
I tried to wrap the threads in teflon tape before. It just got all bound up when I tried to screw the breech plug in.
I made 3 attempts, then gave up.
I don't know if I can get a # 11 nipple for my setup?
Gonna pick up some triple 7 3f next time. I was shooting 3f Swiss powder before out the pistol. That works good too.

I tried to wrap the threads in teflon tape before. It just got all bound up when I tried to screw the breech plug in.
I made 3 attempts, then gave up.

Yep.... using the tape can be a problem. t took me several attempts to get it figured out. Two if the key points is the the tape needs to be wrapped the in the right direction on the plug and the the treads for the BP in the rifle need to be clean and not have ant carbon deposits that will catch the tape and start tearing it.

Use this device to clean the BP threads in the rifle or in your case pistol configuration.

Bore-Thread-Brush.jpg

Insert the fiber brush and set the drill to turn counter clockwise. I spray the brush with Birchwood Casey 2-in-1 bore cleaner it will dissolve old fouling the the threads and bring them outward as the brush turns.

CCW-turning-Fiber-Brust.jpg

Then Wrapping....

This is the tape I have started using - it is stronger than the common white variety.

1-Blue-Monster.jpg

This shows the direction of the application of the tape - I am sure you already know this but just trying to cover the bases,

2-Nose-Wrap.jpg

This pic tries to explain it all.. even though I do not use white tape anymore.

Wrapping_a_Plug.jpg

I don't know if I can get a # 11 nipple for my setup?

O shoot I forgot you may be really correct - CVA doesn't give you that option the BP and nipple are all one piece - I think if I remember correctly!

Gonna pick up some triple 7 3f next time. I was shooting 3f Swiss powder before out the pistol. That works good too.

It really is hard to beat Swiss. It is an excellent powder and of course 3f is a very quick burner also. Here is is way easier to get T7 locally than any real BP.

I still really do like the looks of that setup! And I am sure it will be effective at the ranges you are suggesting especially if you have a solid support for the longer ranges.

I have wondered if a good machinist could take one of the CVA Northwest breech plugs with the permanent musket nipple; machine off the musket nipple, and then drill and tap the plug for 1/4"-28 threads that would be capable of accepting both a #11 and a musket nipple in AMPCO bronze?

I like that idea of using the drill with the brush.
The blue teflon tape is what you recommend. I'll have to look at the hardware store next time I'm in town.

I have wondered if a good machinist could take one of the CVA Northwest breech plugs with the permanent musket nipple; machine off the musket nipple, and then drill and tap the plug for 1/4"-28 threads that would be capable of accepting both a #11 and a musket nipple in AMPCO bronze?
The musket nipple unscrews, Bruce.
I use a 5/16" socket. Too bad they don't make a #11 nipple to screw in the breech plug.

I like that idea of using the drill with the brush.
The blue teflon tape is what you recommend. I'll have to look at the hardware store next time I'm in town.

I have found out not all stores carry it because the Blue Monster Tape is more expensive than white.

I use a 5/16" socket. Too bad they don't make a #11 nipple to screw in the breech plug.

So am I reading this correctly? With the Optima Breech Plug you can remove the Musket nipple from the plug?

Could you take a picture of the breech plug in your gun and post it?

Did not know that. A replaceable musket nipple in the North West breech plug? Utilizing a 5/16" socket? But, no #11 nipple option?

Once again a company has to make things difficult. If you're not going to offer a #11 nipple option, then why not have it threaded for 1/4"-28 here in the United States, and 6-1mm for Europe, Canada, the UK, etc. Then a shooter can use readily available nipples sold world wide. And, a standard, long shanked, nipple wrench for removal and replacement.

Maybe RMC could be convinced to start manufacturing AMPCO bronze replacement nipples for these CVA North West breech plugs in both musket and #11 sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc - I use to use the AMPCO and it was an extremely good nipple. But... my last order of 5 new nipples did not do what the older ones did nor what I want them to do. When I bought AMPCO's I had to drill the flash out to a larger size for dependable ignition of T7-2f powder. Shooting real BP with the AMPCO was not a problem but as many know T7 is more difficult. It needs a HOT cap and the gas that it creates. So I always drilled the flash hole larger to 0.031 from the factory size. The next thing that created a problem was the diameter of the nipple post had been slightly reduced so the #11 caps slipped right and they could easily slide off.

So a few months ago I found that October Country offer a hardened #11 MSM nipple and it really fit my specifications. Flash hole did not need to be drilled and the #11 caps when put on with a capper fit so tight the cap nipple post combination became water proof. The only way to get the cap off the nipple was to shoot it off or peel it of with the edge of a knife blade.

Spitfire_Nipple.jpg

I then tried a couple of experiments to test my theory...

MSM-Spitfire.jpg

In the weather I hunt in here in Idaho this was a big plus for me. Not only did not have to worry about the cap coming off the post while hunting - the breech now was water proof!

So am I reading this correctly? With the Optima Breech Plug you can remove the Musket nipple from the plug?

Could you take a picture of the breech plug in your gun and post it?
Here's the breech plug with the nipple removed. I have some CVA #11 nipples but the threads are different. Haven't looked real hard to find a replacement nipple for the northwest breech plug. 20210801_071739.jpg

That’s an odd one for sure.

Back