Ready for deer season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metric threads on the plug and nipple maybe?

It looks in the picture like that plug has a standard screw or bolt thread, but does have the extended area below the threads. Does CVA offer replacement nipples that are specific to that particular plug? If so I'd be ordering a mess of them if you intend to stick with black and the subs for the long haul. Remember the firing pin bushing kits that were the answer to so many of peoples' problems....they went away.

It looks in the picture like that plug has a standard screw or bolt thread, but does have the extended area below the threads. Does CVA offer replacement nipples that are specific to that particular plug? If so I'd be ordering a mess of them if you intend to stick with black and the subs for the long haul. Remember the firing pin bushing kits that were the answer to so many of peoples' problems....they went away.
I haven't actually researched finding a replacement musket nipple. I have the original QRBP that came with the pistol and I also have the BH209 breech plug.
Finding 209 primers has been an issue for me, that's the reason I got the northwest breech plug kit.
If 209 primers become available to me, I have the option to switch back.

What's the coldest weather you hunt in Deerman? If the coldest is in the low 40's to upper 30's I'd be looking for the muzzleloader variety of primers for the 209 powder. I've shot several deer with them when the temps were in the 30's. I've had one mis-fire with a muzzie specific primer and 209 powder but it was below zero that day. Most of my hunting here is done in very cool weather but I would use the muzzie specific primers, at least with the T7, in temps to 32 or so. The muzzie specific primers are easy to find compared to the shotshell reloading stuff.

I know you're comfortable shooting black and T7 with the caps but I like shooting the hottest I can get and will match the powder to the primer heat that's available. I have plenty of primers and 209 powder so my problem is solved right now. But to stay transparent, I've been burning T7 fff and using the muzzie primers this summer after the first three shots in each gun with 209 and shotshell primers to be certain the gun is still ON with the hunting loads. With T7 and the cooler primers all I am doing is shooting to maintain form and consistency. Actually the same charge of T7 fff and the cheaper primers shoot so close to the 209 load that I'd be super ok hunting it. The T7 and 209 powders shoot so much alike the only difference I see is in cold weather reliability in igniting the 209 powder. That said, if you hunt in temps that get into the mid 30's I say find those muzzie specific primers, use the T7 and go hunting. To note, I have shot at the range on a couple mornings at 15 degrees or so this last winter with T7 and muzzie primers, maybe 50 shots overall, and not one mis or hang fire.

Mr Tom, generally speaking, it's in the 30 to 40 degree range here in Oklahoma during the deer season. Last year, a few mornings were in the teens and upper 20's.
Beyond my pistol, all of my other guns are all traditional sidelock rifles. Real black powder and #11 caps are pretty much my mainstay supplies.
I do like that Blackhorn 209, in fact I have a bottle of it on hand now.
As for the good primers, none of gun shops I been in never have any. I'm kinda limited to whatever Walmart might have in stock, which usually is only muzzy primers, when they even have them.

Here's the breech plug with the nipple removed. I have some CVA #11 nipples but the threads are different. Haven't looked real hard to find a replacement nipple for the northwest breech plug.

Thank you for the picture and that to me is a really positive move by CVA... Now somebody has got to know what the thread pattern is. Maybe even a short phone call to CVA support might answer the question. In the norm the CVA is 6x1mm thread pattern. It would seem odd that they might have changed.

If you have a local machinist - take the nipple to him and he could probably tell you exactly what you might have.

This link take you to the normal CVA #11

CVA™ Ol' Reliable Nipple #11 Cap 6x1mm Thread | AC1481 | Muzzle-Loaders.com

Thank you for the picture and that to me is a really positive move by CVA... Now somebody has got to know what the thread pattern is. Maybe even a short phone call to CVA support might answer the question. In the norm the CVA is 6x1mm thread pattern. It would seem odd that they might have changed.

If you have a local machinist - take the nipple to him and he could probably tell you exactly what you might have.

This link take you to the normal CVA #11

CVA™ Ol' Reliable Nipple #11 Cap 6x1mm Thread | AC1481 | Muzzle-Loaders.com
I just recently bought a pack of those nipples.
Did a comparison this morning and they are way different than what I have on the northwest breech plug.

I know the design will be different as you Musket nipple has that extended portion on the the nose. Have you tried inserting and screwing the 6x1 CVA nipples in.

I decided to blow your pic up...

cva-nipple.jpg

And now I see another possible problem... the nipple stack is very short and that might cause a problem. So I do think I recognize the problem you are seeing. Still think a phone call to CVA support might be in order.

If everything fails there may still be a simple way to water proof. Also what type of Musket caps are you shooting?

OK after doing a bit of thinking.... you are probably better off with your current set up! Because of the enclosed design of the CVA plug it self, if you could get a #11 nipple on which the nipple would fit tight! You would create another problem you would have to shoot the nipple off! No way to get in there and peel the cap off the nipple.

The road ahead may be the best you already have. UNTIL 209's become available - and they will at some point!

Last edited:
Here's the breech plug with the nipple removed. I have some CVA #11 nipples but the threads are different. Haven't looked real hard to find a replacement nipple for the northwest breech plug. View attachment 15627
That's a CVA proprietary nipple. Nothing else is going to work without changing the length of the firing pin. Best to try and find someone like RMC, or October Country to manufacture replacement #11 & musket nipples with the correct diameter flash holes in them for all substitute powders, except BH209. Which, would then work just fine with real black powder.

I know the design will be different as you Musket nipple has that extended portion on the the nose. Have you tried inserting and screwing the 6x1 CVA nipples in.

I decided to blow your pic up...

cva-nipple.jpg

And now I see another possible problem... the nipple stack is very short and that might cause a problem. So I do think I recognize the problem you are seeing. Still think a phone call to CVA support might be in order.

If everything fails there may still be a simple way to water proof. Also what type of Musket caps are you shooting?

OK after doing a bit of thinking.... you are probably better off with your current set up! Because of the enclosed design of the CVA plug it self, if you could get a #11 nipple on which the nipple would fit tight! You would create another problem you would have to shoot the nipple off! No way to get in there and peel the cap off the nipple.

The road ahead may be the best you already have. UNTIL 209's become available - and they will at some point!
That setup gives just enough finger room to get the musket caps on the nipple. Like you said,
a number 11 cap would present a few challenges, especially trying to remove an unfired cap.

That's a CVA proprietary nipple. Nothing else is going to work without changing the length of the firing pin. Best to try and find someone like RMC, or October Country to manufacture replacement #11 & musket nipples with the correct diameter flash holes in them for all substitute powders, except BH209. Which, would then work just fine with real black powder.
Sometime this week I will call CVA to inquire about replacement nipples. Y'all got me curious about it now.

That setup gives just enough finger room to get the musket caps on the nipple. Like you said,
a number 11 cap would present a few challenges, especially trying to remove an unfired cap.
I wonder if my CVA de-capping/de-priming tool would reach in there and be able to remove a #11 cap?

Latest posts

Back