Ready For Ohio UPDATED!!!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JJ, Chuck, Tom, you guys know me well enough now to know that if I'm lost for words there is really has to be something unbelievable. So that?s where I?ve been all week. JJ, you and Sara are fantastic hosts. From the moment I pulled into Wapakoneta until I left Roundhead the accommodations were beyond expectations. :yeah:

So JJ for me it all started Friday afternoon with some great food, cold adult beverages, and a close game of double deck euchre. For those of you not from the Midwest, euchre is a simple card game that challenges most people outside of Indiana and Ohio. Well Friday ended sitting around the living room honing our story telling skills with you (Doohan), Jon (JD), Chuck (Big6x6), Tom (Grouse) , and myself (Indianahunter). :partyman:

No doubt those skills really came in handy when we hooked up with Nug (Nug), Jim (VENISONEATR), Saturday morning for breakfast?I?m sure everyone in our section of that restaurant new we were in for a good time that day? Needless to say the ?Lucky Steer? will be one of my favorite breakfasts for a long, long time. :wink: :lol:

The posted pictures give everyone a view of an outstanding facility. The lodge was spectacular, the woods clay course was well laid out and on a calm day been a real challenge. So with the high winds we were shooting in it made some of the stations down right impossible. JJ, hooking up with your dad Jim was great not only for his company but now I was not the oldest guy in the group!! With Two round here and I was truly humbled among my peers as I fashion myself a pretty good shot with a shotgun. I was a bit more successful at the skeet field and enjoyed shooting a few different guns with success. Still, having Chuck and Tom tossing loose clays over your shoulder and the operator of the thrower sending birds at will from all directions it was a challange concentrating on the birds out of the trap; what a hoot this turned out to be...By the end of that event you had no idea where the birds were going to come from! :applause:

But as fun as anything we did all day was the Annie Oakley from the back line on the trap field... Everyone who played won a round or two but none were as spectacular as the one's won by "long distance bird buster" Chuck Hill... I believe he still has a smile on his face for those shots!!! I know I do...Good shooting there Chuck! :yeah:

So Saturday morning the two most excited members of our group got to show their stuff, Nug? dog, a beautiful 4 year Drahthaar which is a member of the German wire-hair pointer family and Jim?s 14 month old equally beautiful Viszla, an outstanding pointer with Hungarian decent. Other than one dispute of European neighbors both dogs got along great. 12 hours in a truck didn?t slow them down a bit as they were ready to go and ?birdy? all day?What a treat is was to hunt over great dogs?Nug, Jim, thank you very much!

JJ, Sara, Jim, and Alex, thank you for sharing! Jon your efforts have not gone unnoticed as your work helping JJ an Sara made the event go very smooth..

Pat Allen

Gentlemen,
Thanks you all for the unforgettable weekend. It was really nice meeting you all in person. I have a lot of new friends now. :partyman: :D
Thanks you JJ, Sara, Jim, Alex and Jon for organizing and sharing. :applause:
Thanks Pat, Tom, Chuck and everybody for the great posts. :applause:

What a great weekend that was. It was by far the best time I've had shooting clays and hunting pheasants.

Big thanks to JJ and Sarah for such a good time and great food.

Thanks to all the guys who traveled to Ohio for the weekend. [Chuck ,Tom, Pat, Jimmy , and Nug.] All 1st class guys in my book. I'm looking forward to seeing you all in Tenn.

The Back Forty Sporting Clays shooting range is 1/2 hr. from the house. They have 2 courses set up and they usually change each course once a month or so just to keep things interesting.

So when do we show up? :lol: :poke:

Chuck:

If you think rifles are pricey, don't look at Sporting Clays/Trap/Skeet guns (the O/U's that is) With names like Perazzi, Kreighoff, Beretta and others, you can drop a serious amount of $$ in a hurry!

Isn't THAT the truth! I've never really been a shotgun kind of guy. I have several but really nothing I'd want to shoot as much as we shot. After doing the sporting clays thing I'm thinking an auto is the way to go. A pump or O/U or S/S especially in 12ga will really beat the crap out of you! I have an older model 1100 in 12ga that would be okay but no recoil pad and it's a modified barrel. I'm REALLY thinking about a Beretta 3901 Ambassador or a A391 Xtrema2(thanks to JJ!) OR a Benelli M2 Field with ComforTech..

Pat....you really said it well! The Lucky Steer! :lol: How many times did we laugh about THAT?

:) Your great smiles says it all on those outstanding pics.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with all. :yeah:

Loggy said:

Thanks Loggy but I could never tell if Pat was smiling because he was having fun or just passing gas! :lol: :lol: :lol:

big6x6 said:
Loggy said:

Thanks Loggy but I could never tell if Pat was smiling because he was having fun or just passing gas! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Or drinking scotch. :shock: :p

big6x6 said:
Loggy said:

Chuck, make sure Pat is on the UPPER BUNK during upcoming Hog Hunt for proper air/scent circulation!!! I gotta watch out for the lurking Chief on my hunt. Dont know if its better to have him positioned above or below or parallel!! Reason being why I'm headin to TN early to survey things! :lol:

big6x6 said:
Loggy said:

Hey, don't blame me...Sara made those wonderful beans :)

I'm kinda sad this am... A week ago today I was eating breakfast at the "Lucky Steer" and TODAY I'm at WORK! :x Sure was better doing something FUN!

Ya, I just got back from my 5th grade daughter's choir competition. Her choir received the silver metal.... While you know we are very happy with the results I do wish I could have slept in past 6:00 this morning?

Back