Reasonable Range/ accuracy ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkchop401

Reaction score
I am going to try and draw for a Colorado muzzle loader elk tag next year . I have had success hunting with a rifle unguided and i have noticed that when hunting in the timber shots over 150 yds. are rare. I currently have a 700ML 50 cal. with a aperture sight. Shooting a 495gr. No excuses conical (1300fps)zeroed at 125 yds. and 5"low at 150yds.
I am shooting about 2" groups at 100yds. sitting at the bench and 3" groups off of shooting sticks or my knees.
I guess my question is, is this a reasonable setup for chasing elk as for as muzzleloaders go? is there any thing else that I can do besides practice field shooting with the rifle and becoming comfortable with the rifle and using open sights. I intend to hunt with the rifle during our late primitive deer season.

No sub for practice….gives you confidence in what your gun can do, if you’re eyes are good to see - dead elk.
Be sure you can see your sights in various lighting conditions.
Good luck.

Practice farther than you aim to hunt and you'll be ok. Don't assume that a 2" 100yd group will be a 4" 200 yard group.

The bullet will work if you put it where it needs to go.

I intend to hang a third gong at 200 yds. at some point . I am busy with rifle deer season until I tag out or the middle of January. then i intend to hunt some with the ml and start banging the gong the rest of the year.

I think there is an additional consideration for accuracy.

Years ago before commercial synthetic stocks I made my own out of fiberglass. I mounted an Interarms barreled action in 270 Winchester on it. Built handloads and could drive tacks with it. That year a beautiful 12 point showed up but there was all kinds of brush. I had the gun rested on a tree stump and tracked the deer for some time before a thin gap in the brush offered a semi clear shot. Only because of the fine shooting gun could I take the shot with confidence. If my gun was not shooting good groups I would have to pass on the shot.

The moral is the gun needs enough accuracy to hit the intended target in the kill zone. Secondly there could be obstacles in the way you may have to shoot through. If you have to shoot between 2 trees that are 3 inches apart and your gun is shooting 5 inch groups, the odds of hitting the intended target are reduced. Your kinda screwed.

I think there is an additional consideration for accuracy.

Years ago before commercial synthetic stocks I made my own out of fiberglass. I mounted an Interarms barreled action in 270 Winchester on it. Built handloads and could drive tacks with it. That year a beautiful 12 point showed up but there was all kinds of brush. I had the gun rested on a tree stump and tracked the deer for some time before a thin gap in the brush offered a semi clear shot. Only because of the fine shooting gun could I take the shot with confidence. If my gun was not shooting good groups I would have to pass on the shot.

The moral is the gun needs enough accuracy to hit the intended target in the kill zone. Secondly there could be obstacles in the way you may have to shoot through. If you have to shoot between 2 trees that are 3 inches apart and your gun is shooting 5 inch groups, the odds of hitting the intended target are reduced. Your kinda screwed.
I certainly see your point . i feel the rifle is more than i am when shooting open sights . that is about all i can do with open sights and a 22lr. at that range I will certainly be trying to become more precise with practice and having a blast in the process.

Back