Reaurrecting an oldie.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarpicva

Reaction score
I have an old imported .45 Kentucky long rifle. 33 inch barrel w/1:66 twist. I got a ball down the thing with no powder charge about 28 years ago, and it's been there ever since.

Dare I pop the ball out with a pinch of powder in the drum at
this point? I don't know anyone who could remove the breech plug.

Advice?

I assume you've tried a ball puller just to see if you can slide it back out?

Joe

28 yrs ago? wow... :shock:

I would think a ball puller would work fine, but have to assume you've tried it.

Putting a small amount of powder in might move it enough to get a ball puller to work, or it might push it all the way out. I can't see it being a problem, but I've never dealt with that situation. Whenever I dry loaded one I pulled it out right away and had no trouble getting it out.

If you have any doubts.. take it to a gun smith and have them unload it for you and then check the barrel to make sure it is safe to shoot.

You might be able to load the bolster/drum with powder. Us 4f if you have any.you If not, 3f. Pack as much in as you can. And be sure to push that ball all the way down into the breech. Aim at a cardboard box in a safe area outside and then shoot at the cardboard box. That will will have a lot of power coming out. Wear safety glasses too.

If you have a CO2 discharge system, I would use that.

If you don't want to try any of these, and you know it is unloaded... then use the ball puller. The problem you might find is, after all this time I am sure the ball has had a chance to oxidize and it might not want to come out.

I pulled bullet a few years back from a gun that had been sitting for I have no idea how long. I first sprayed WD down the barrel then let is sit for 1 hr them using rod with a screw/drillbit on it I put the screw end up to the lead bullet then with a hammer hit it 3 to 4 time to start the screw and it loosen the bullet then screwed the screw into the bullet and pulled. I think cable companies use this thing. The one I used is on the top in the picture.
http://www.buy.com/prod/greenlee-textro ... =221449372

Okay so if the drill bit is worth more than the gun......uh I got a box of bit that I'll trade ya! :lol:

For safeties sake soak all guns with water before you try to pull a ball. Put a goodly amount down the barrel and let it soak for a long time. Than the ball should come out without much issue.

Semisane said:
Frankly, I'd just put some powder under the nipple and shoot the sucker out.

I wonder if a #11 might budge it, then do a dribble of powder, ram the ball down again and shoot it out.

I need to look into the CO2 doohickey I guess.

The easy way is to pull the nipple and get some powder in there under the ball and then shoot it out. This is safe, and easy. I have no idea of why people want to pull bullets when they can shoot them out easier and quicker.

rat trapper said:
The easy way is to pull the nipple and get some powder in there under the ball and then shoot it out. This is safe, and easy. I have no idea of why people want to pull bullets when they can shoot them out easier and quicker.

Because there might be a charge in there and we don't know what that charge is??? Hello????? :wink:

Even though the OP states there is no Charge down the barrel if someone hands me a ML I am not taking his word for it. I am taking the safe approach.

The CO2 system always seems gimmicky to me.

Pulling a ball is the no nonsense approach to pulling a ball. Its been around since the creation of muzzleloaders. It worked then and it works to this day.

agreed, though if you have a well-marked ram rod the liability is quite low. I wouldn't ask anyone else to take the risk though.

With no know history, you can not shoot the gun. There could even be smokeless down there, you don't know. Soak it in water before you try anything. Better safe than sorry, kinds thing. My goodness!

ebiggs1 said:
With no know history, you can not shoot the gun. There could even be smokeless down there, you don't know. Soak it in water before you try anything. Better safe than sorry, kinds thing. My goodness!

fully known history, and I am the dork who rammed the ball down an empty barrell

Latest posts

Back