Recoil Pad

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finaddict

Reaction score
Well I've done it and ordered a Savage 10ML-II Laminate/Stainless from RW and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I was wondering first if I need a recoil pad and if so which recoil pad would be the best?

I can't wait!!!!!!!! Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the only one available is the Sims pad,and a lot of guys were disappointed with the fit.Being oversized or under.One guy whittled on his laminate stock.NO THANK YOU!! Unless you are really, really, recoil sensitive,do not worry about it.I have shot some pretty stiff loads out of mine,and the recoil does not bother me.If you are bent on getting one Midway carries them,but again it is one size fits all.There are pads available that you grind down.do not know where to find them.Maybe someone will chime in on this one.

go for the simms like goingfrom bare knuckles to boxing gloves!!! get grind to fit clint

If I were you I wouldn't start changing things when you haven't even shot the gun yet. I've owned four Savages and have two now and have never changed the factory recoil pad. If needed at all it would more so be on the synthetic stock becausing of being a pound lighter IMO.

yes simms make 3 sizes grind to fit i will not get anthing but a simms!!!! they just work clint

here is the part number for the medium size pad as it works well on the Savage ML-II stocks

LIMBSAVER (SIMS VIB.)MFG# 10542 GRIND-AWAY PAD MEDIUM

If you have not owned or shot the 10ml-2 before i would wait untill you get it and shoot it with some of the loads recommended here or in the manual!! You may be plesently surprised at the amount of recoil....just a suggestion...bompa

I agree with bompa and dwhunter! Shoot it first and then decide. I know I was pleasantly suprised with mine.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was just wondering if I even needed a recoil pad or not. I will for sure shoot the rifle first before doing anything. I know that my other BP rifle kicks quite a bit with a heavy solid conical. I'm not shy when it comes to recoil. Never seems to be to much of a problem. Thanks all.

The Sims pad made to fit the Laminate does not fit perfectly, but on my HB it fit halfway decent, didn't bother me on a hunting rifle. The difference it made in recoil was well worth the cost and the slight loss of aesthetic appeal.

Tar-12 said:
If I remember correctly, the only one available is the Sims pad,and a lot of guys were disappointed with the fit.

Yeah, me being one of them! I ordered one from Midway expecting it to fit perfectly like the Limbsaver pad on my Omega but was highly disappointed with the fit on the Savage. I sent the pad back. :cry:

The Simms pad that is supposed to fit the laminate, hardly fits well. :(
There was a 1/4" gap at the toe of the stock.
I spent enough money on my HB Limited that I wanted a perfect fit, so I shaped the laminate stock to fit it perfectly, then refinished with spray on dull urethane to match the original finnish.
Seems like alot of work, but it really was quite easy. I have done stock work over the years and this was an easy job.

Grind to fit might be your best option if the above task is beyond your means :D

The Sims pad on my laminate stock fits pretty close...not perfectly, but pretty close. Maybe 1/16" difference at the most....good enough for me.
I guess I'm with Rifleman on this one....sure makes a big difference in felt recoil. :)

black3

I have a Decellerator on an aftermarket Claro stock but it was shaped when the stock was made so it is an excellent fit. If you go to 250 or 300 grain bullets versus heavy conicals you may not notice as much recoil. I use a Lead Sled for many rounds at my range. I never notice recoil when I am shooting at a deer though.

been using Kick-Eze on all my guns, course I have to have all my stocks cut so that's when I have them installed. They do absorb some recoil.........maybe a Magnaport job :). smoker

Some have said for a muzzleloader with sabots it is best not to port or muzzlebrake the barrel, that it tends to disrupt accuracy with the sabot. It has not affected my centerfires but no sabots.

I have installed several SIMS Limbsavers and thought I might give some input on this subject. Poor fit is not due to the pad, but rather the differences in the stocks. All stocks vary because they are usually hand finished. Synthetic stocks generally have the best recoil pad fit because the molding process is pretty accurate. I own a 10ML synthetic, but SIMS does not offer a "Precision Fit" for this stock either. From my experience, I have learned that the "Grind to Fit" is the way to go. This operation might not be for everybody, but it is the best way to obtain the precision fit that is most desirerable. I highly recommend a jig when grinding these recoil pads. I did not purchase a jig, but rather built my own. As for my synthetic stock, I used the SIMS 10542 pad and ground it to fit. Unfortunately, the mounting holes on the ML synthetic stock are in an odd location. I removed the factory screw mounts and filled the entire rear portion of the synthetic stock cavity. This allowed me to use the screw mounting location on the new pad. The end result is a perfect factory finish appearance. The ML recoil is not bad, and an aftermarket pad is not always necessary. I enjoy the added benefit of the Limbsaver and all of my long guns have them. Actually, I never considered using them until after I installed the first one on my wife's rifle. I am also tall, so the added length to the stock is a plus for me. In fact, on some of my guns I have also added spacers with the pad for even additional length.

Latest posts

Back