recoil

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubby

Reaction score
for thoe that shoot the no excuse conical bullets what the recoil like ,tremendous ormanageable :)

It all depends on the amount of powder you shoot, and the weight of the rifle. I find with 65 grains of T7 2f and a 460 grain, the recoil is less then most shotguns. When I kick it up to 85 grains of the same powder, then its getting plain, your shooting a powerful load. For elk, some people shoot 100-110 grains of powder. I did that one afternoon to "feel" what its like. I would describe it as a large magnum turkey load in a light shotgun. You definitely knew it was there, but you can handle it.

I asked the guy who owns No Excuse about recoil. I asked what's the minimum I could use for elk. He said 70gr of T7 3F would be fine.

That would also knock the stuffing out of a deer.

65 grains and a 460 No Excuses conical or Bull Shop, penetrated 8 inches of very solid poplar fire wood log. I was impressed. So think what 85 grains would do.

Also while the nose flattened, it really did not deform or loose weight.

85 gr would probably start to hurt on recoil. For me anyway.

60gr would be good for deer. Although it's not going to shoot very flat for longer distances. Not a concern for how we hunt.

You may find 65-70gr depending on the weight of the bullet to be your sweet spot. Most guys who shoot connicals do not use above 90gr.

I use 110 grains of T7 behind a 460 bullet,I don't think its too bad out of a White :D

Although this is my first year with a white and Conicals. I do not even notice the recoil with 70 grains 777 2 f out of my lightning.

I don't think anyone can answer this question for you. Obviously, if you load light...light recoil. Heavier, more recoil. We don't know what is alot to you. Some folks can handle much more than others.

The good thing...even with 70gr, you will thump whatever you are shooting at. I have not shot a ton of big lead, but personally I don't really care for much more than 90. I think you have a point of diminishing return.

Redclub said:
I use 110 grains of T7 behind a 460 bullet,I don't think its too bad out of a White :D

You must not be recoil sensitive at all! If I get over 90 gr, it knocks me pretty good and I start flinching. It also hurts my chronic neck pain.

I used to think shooting a .458 mag was fun. I was young and dumb then.

Some will say i'm old and dumb now, but that's for another thread.

Another thought is if you are going to shoot Lead Connicals you really should not go above 1400fps as it will start to cause leading in your bbl. Unless you like to spend extra time removing the lead from your bore. If so, then shoot away. Like most find shooting 70gr of Swiss 3F or 777-2F or 3F to be plenty for most of the big game you plan on hunting.

My paper patched bullets are 460 gr. I use 80 gr of pyrodex P with an over powder wad. The recoil out of my MK85 is stout. My mk85 is a plastic or composite stock. When I was sighting it in out to 200 yards I got roughed up a bit. But once you get the load developed and sighted in the amount of shooting to stay in tune with it was not that bad. Ron

80gr of BH209 and a 460gr in my Savage 45 is a bit brisk but not terrible. Its a heavy rifle and that load clocks over 1400fps but under 1450fps. My 54-120 with a Lehigh plug though will rock your world with the 500gr+ conicals. Its a fairly light carbine. The 435s are not bad at all.

Yep, you read it correctly. BH209 works fine for me with heavy for caliber conicals. I use a tight .460 veggie wad and/or wool wad. The conical is sized .001 over land size. Works fine but i have not tested it in extreme cold yet. I cant imagine them not working in the DISC 45 with a real Lehigh bare 209 conversion. Ignition is even better IMO than the OEM Savage plug and has slightly less blowby.

Back