Reduced Recoil bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redrider931

Reaction score
Hey Everyone , Hope y'all have great hunting this year. I have a CVA Elite Stalker 30-06 that I love and I'm using the Remington reduced recoil bullets due to a sore shoulder . Has anyone used them for hunting ? I've shot them at targets and they don't hurt to shoot .

Hi Redrider, I have not used the rem version but I did use federals in 30-06. To me, the reduction wasn't all that great and I shot one deer where the bullet blew up on impact. The result was a fist sized entry, no exit, bad blood trail. That was one deer of three that I shot that year. The other two were better. Both passed through and were fine. The blow up one hit bone so I'd say it would OK for softer tissue targets but nothing real hard.

I abandoned them and went back to the regular stuff.

I know its not exactly the product you were asking about but wanted to share my low recoil experience any way. I'd avoid them if you are physically able.

Jono

avoid them .....get a .243 cal with a 100 gr bullet ,it will nail any whitetail if you do ur part ..

I had accuracy problems with reduced recoil ammo when working up some choices for a young son.

I turned out using a Rossie single shot with in 7.62 x 39 with winchester 123 gr SP ammo. Almost no recoil and it actually was accurate and deadly.

My boy was printing 1 - 1.5" groups at 75 yards - not bad for a young guy.

.243 is a bad ass little gun in a small package! I love that rifle, i just wish i had the reloading dies to make shooting it easier on my wallet.

Redrider,

If you reload you can load lighter bullets..............I'm guessing you don"t ..............If you can find factory loads with lighter bullets they will recoil less ...........keep in mind though you don't want varmint style bullets just lighter big game bullets. I personally use 130 gr bullets for whitetails with a .308 and recoil is verrrrrry light and performance is devestating!!!!!!!

Wally

i reload reduced loads for kids. i use h4895 and have great luck.not one kid has lost a deer yet with them.

I love my 243! 100gr corelok took the shoulder out of my whitetail this year. Recoil is almost non existent, i will probably never hunt with anything else

I look upon 'reduced' loads put out by the factories as another gimmick. Less powder, cheaper bullets and more money. It's more of a marketing gimmick for recoil sensitive shooters like women and kids. It's similar to 'increased velocity' shotshells which just contain less shot and cost the same. If you really want lower recoil, the best way to do it is to use a smaller caliber or a lighter bullet weight. If you reload, you can custom taper the components to produce an ideal cartridge for you.

Back