Reloading bench finish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underclocked

Reaction score
I just completing building the bench portion of the NRMA reloaders bench. For now I don't think I will be building the cabinet portion. The plywood portions are maple and the rest is Douglas Fir. What type of finish should I put on it?  I plan on reloading and gun cleaning on the bench. I'm not a woodworking guy but a buddy of mine is and he suggested Danish oil. I'm not opposed to the Danish oil but wanted other opinions.

You want something slick IMO. Powder, shot, and trash tend to accumulate on a reloading bench and you want to be able to sweep it off easily. I painted mine in enamel but polyurethane would be even better. A rubbed in oil finish usually tend to have small particles adhere to it. 

Just my opinion.

I forgot he mentioned I should cover it with a paste wax over the Danish oil. I've never used it so that is why I asked for other suggestions. 
Thanks Bob for your suggestion, I have spilled powder on accident before and it makes a mess. Clean up is a priority for the finish.

Back