rem 700 54cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gateway

Reaction score
got done shooting the rem 54cal.. had 5 that sound like a flintlock going off.. took 4 caps to fire the first shot ..blow back is all over the gun and scope :oops: was useing musket caps dont know the brand name.. going to get 11mag caps and see if that helps the hang fires :?: if knot will get the 209 kit seams like it whats to shot good :D :D will post pic of the target win i' get some batt fore the camera... thanks WORM :shock: WORM

Possibly convert it?

I'm pretty sure that Remington has a 209 converssion commercially available - if your state allows it.

Those Remingtons are reknowned for blowback.

gateway said:
got done shooting the rem 54cal.. had 5 that sound like a flintlock going off.. took 4 caps to fire the first shot ..blow back is all over the gun and scope :oops: was useing musket caps dont know the brand name.. going to get 11mag caps and see if that helps the hang fires :?: if knot will get the 209 kit seams like it whats to shot good :D :D will post pic of the target win i' get some batt fore the camera... thanks WORM :shock: WORM

What kind of powder are you using? If you get the 209 Conversion kit, get the one from Cabelas.

If you don't mind buying from some place out of Canada check the link out below.The cost is $49.95 and no shiping.These REM 700Ml 209 kits are the very same ones Cabelas sell's
http://armurierlavaltrie.ecrater.com/pr ... id=3060743
gateway said:

the powder is hodg 777 .. yes we can use a 209 primer in the state of tenn..the one from cabelas is the one i'was going to get :D :D thanks WORM :shock: WORM

777 is much harder to ignite than some of the other subs. You would probably get good results with 3F Swiss. 3F Goex, or Pyrodex. #11 caps and 777 don't get along too well.

If you convert to a 209 breechplug then any of the subs will work ok.

Swampman said:
#11 caps and 777 don't get along too well.

shhh! Don't tell that to my Ruger 77/50. It has shot great with T7 loose powder (FFg and FFFg) and the regular CCi #11 caps for over six years now and a dozen deer later.

When I experimented with T7 pellets, I had to move up to CCI #11 Magnum caps.

My MK-85 works really well with T7 and #11 caps also.

Keep the gun clean, the powder dry and fresh and I have had zero problems with the combo.

Or just use blackpowder, and you don't have to do anything but pull the trigger.

looking at wal mart a few weeks ago.. and they had winchester11 caps.. the tin can that they came in was red and black :?: :?: are the magnum 11caps :?: :?: thanks WORM :shock: WORM

Those are very likely remarked, overpriced CCI caps.

Look for some RWS 1075+, or the Remingtons or the CCI Magnums. $6 a tin is ridiculous.

winchester's junk is over priced :D thanks fore the heads up.. WORM :shock: WORM

Sounds to me like you haven't been taking the bolt apart & cleaning it everytime you fire that Rem 700. I will bet you will find you have major corrosion on the main spring & firing pin assembly if you take that bolt apart. The 700 ML is a great rifle, but you MUST clean the bolt assembly every time you fire the rifle.

this is the first time the gun has been shot :shock: :shock: cleaned the bolt the firing pin has dirt the spring was clean :lol: thanks worm

got the 11magnum caps.. went and shot it about 20x the 11 caps went off every time :D got a few pic
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg
thanks WORM

Back