Renagade 1/28 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Stankovitz

Reaction score
Can this rifle shoot round alps in this rifling or do you need a slower twist. It a 50 cal. I always shot maxis and wondered if will shoot balls.

DSCN4519.jpg

DSCN4525.jpg

the Knight LK-93 I shoot has a 1-28 twist. I found that charges from 50-70 grains of powder produced very good accuracy shooting my home cast patched roundball. Now where I hunt, 50 yards is a long shot. 40 yards is even a long shot. But as you can see, out to 44 yards... with roundball, this is a killing machine. In fact a person I know had his daughter hunt with 60 grains of Pyrodex RS and a patched roundball shooting his Optima. It must have been accurate as she took a nice buck with that roundball. I never saw the deer but had to laugh when he was telling the story. Seems she's a tiny young lady and with 60 grains she felt comfortable shooting his Optima. Well she put it to good use. I am sure 50-70 grains of powder and moderate close ranges would be a lethal load, placing the ball in the major organs and just let it do the work.

Go and try your rifle with 50 grains to start and then report back your results. On that turkey picture I was shooting for the head of that turkey.

Don't be surprised to end-up purchasing three different sizes, for obtaining the right match. In my possession I have .015 and .020 cotton, along with .018 pillow-ticking. If I were picking just (1) for that Renegade, it would be the .018 pillow-ticking, found at rmcoxyoke.com
My patch lube is either Mr. Flintlock's Lube and Cleaner (or) Hornady One Shot Cleaner and Protectant. There are a million different recipes you can try as patch lube........ even spit.

Are you talking about a TC Renegade? It has a 1-48 twist unless you changed the barrel. If it's the stock barrel it should do well with a PRB, and the maxiball.

I go to Wal Mart and get 100% Cotton Pillow Tick. Red or Blue stripe, it don't matter. It usually measures .018 thick. Be sure to wash it. Then line dry it. Do not put this in the dryer as it frays all over. After it is dry, count 5 stripes and tear a strip off. Then you can cut your own patches or load straight from there over the muzzle.

You might have a drop in barrel. Or I have a T/C Black Mountain Magnum that is 1-28 twist. But all my Renegades are the 1-48. Must be a neat rifle.

that could be... I just never heard of a Renegade with that twist. Could you post a picture of the rifle?

Could someone have swapped barrels prior to purchase? Strange things happen. My Black Mountain Magnum was purchased new and it is 1-28, all my Renegades have been 1-48.

Latest posts

Back