Restoring my first rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My dad bought this old Marlin 336 30-30 for me when i was 11-12ish. My first real hunting rifle.

Over the years the factory finish worn down to nothing on the forearm and the rear was chipped up, scratched up badly.

Took off the stock and forearm this morning and stripped it down, use 100-150 and 220 grit sand paper to do the work. Once it was smooth and scratch free, i used 3 coats of birchwood casey rusty walnut stain and am now applying tru oil. I got the color perfect to where i like it. These older Marlins i think look great with a nice dark stain on the walnut stock, so the 3 coats was perfect.
000_1796.jpg

000_1794.jpg

000_1792.jpg

000_1791.jpg

000_1783.jpg

000_1829.jpg

I'll update once i finish the Tru oil job!

Hi FG,

nice job! Looking forward to the pics of the finished stock.

I did the same with the stock of a Mosin-Nagant carbine. Now it looks like a new one. I used the walnut stain and 2 coats of truoil.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I once owned the exact same rifle. What a simply awesome caliber for deer under 100 yards with 150 grain soft point. My powder-crunched :twisted: reloads really brought-out the best in that micro-groove rifling. Always liked that model with the curved pistol grip vs. the straight.

Can't wait to see you do your magic with that stock resoration. :)

Marty,

with the new Hornady Leverevolution Flex Tip Bullet this .30-30 reaches the limits of a medium .308 Win. So you can hunt biggame out to 150 m.

Regards

Kirrmeister

FG, I have a (336) in .35 rem, been thinking about selling it. :cheers: I need to reduce my levers to buy some other smokers. The revolutions shoot great in the 30-30s and also the .35.

To bright for good pics so i will take a few more later this evening,
000_1978.jpg

000_1979.jpg

000_1981.jpg

Once again FG...you did a simply awesome job on that stock. :!:

Beautiful color too. What color stain did you use :?:

looks great , i have been wanting a 30-30 .cant even hunt deer here wit hit but i like em .

FG, very well done! With the Hornady Leverevolution ammo you have a rifle usable for any kind of game.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back