Rifleman striper boat improvement!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Well several of you have been with me striper fishing and I think we all had a great time. Maybe JJ and I could have done better fishin, but we still had alot of laughs. Well as you guys know one of the things we like to do is troll. That is very productive somedays. Anyway the 1st mate always gets to sit in the front seat facing backwards keeping an eye on the rods,while I sit on the back deck plate behind the steering console driving the boat, watching the electronics monitoring the depth finder and gps for speed. Well the guy up front is pretty comfortable but with no seat or backrest sometimes my lower back starts to ache while driving the boat. Well, I decided to correct that. For my birthday the wife took me on a shopping trip to Gander Mountain and I did some stocking up for the upcoming fishing season. I got a new rainsuit, some new baits, some fishing markers and a camo seat that matchs the camo pattern of my boat. The problem was how to mount the seat on the deck plate, making it solid but also easy to remove and re-install. The seat was made to accept the standard swivel mount that sits on the pole like my other seats and I had to mount it on a flat surface. Anyway I found some chrome plated square tubing and made a square frame and bolted that to the seat. Then I cut two flanges from a piece of angle iron, drilled it to match the bolt up pattern I had drilled on the frame. I then pop-riveted the flanges to the boat which allowed me to slide the frame in between the flanges and insert the four mounting bolts. It is very solid. If I want to remove the seat and operate the bolt without the seat for some reason, I can always unbolt the seat and leave the flanges. I have a pad I can then lay down on the back deck and sit on that,like I used to do. Also when the seat wears out, it will be a simple matter to remove the frame from the seat and install a new one. If for some reason I decide I don't like my new arrangement, I can just simply grind off the rivets and fill in the holes, as they are only 3/16. Overall I am very pleased with how this project turned out, and think it will make my trips on the water more comfortable. Things are pretty slow over here in the fishing forum and I just thought I would share some of my preparations for the upcoming season. I still want to add one of the new 3-D GPS units, but I am having a hard time swallowing the $ 500 price tag. What are you guys doing to get ready for the season?

RMan, sound like you will be ready to hit the water well prepared!!!

So far all I have done is ck the upcoming Striper Season etc. & marked my calendar days I plan to get out. I also have done quite a bit of day dreamin lately with this mid-winter thaw here in PA! :lol:

RMan, so far it will just be the Loggyman Lund leavin the dock. :lol: Puttin 2 thru college currently has limited my spendin fun so far to a $500 Hog Hunt! ($100 if no piggie) Its still early yet though! :lol:

Hey Dwight..

we did have a good time! The fish will pay next time!! BTW did RW ever get his fish?

100_9634.jpg

R-man, Sounds like your getting your setup dialed in. I remember that I had posted back to you about a auto pilot trolling motor did you ever make a move on that or are you still deliberating? I am presently looking at a lowrance 332c that is a color screen, gps and has networking capability. Have you seen any of the 3-d units in operation? At a tourney last year at Alton, Il. a fellow had one of those and picked up a strange structure that he reported and it wound up being a vehicle with a female driver still in it that had been reported missing for several months. I have been down to Alton a couple of times this year but nothing yet over 15#. it is still early though.
The DNR fishery biologist has agreed to try and find bluecat fry to stock in our warm water lake and has asked us to bring back all the blues we catch and release in our lake. He is trying to get a jump with some sexually mature stock and maybe get a natural spawn. Our lake is full of shad and these freshwater sharks should do great. Can't wait!!! Good Luck.

Peteo I decided againt the auto pilot at least for this boat, maybe later if I get a bigger boat. But I am still thinkin on the 3-d graph. Really I am just waiting to find a deal :lol:

Latest posts

Back