RMC Flintlocks ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to try Kik powder because it is $9.60 #1 pound. Goex on the other hand is $10.50 a #1 pound. And Swiss is $16.25 a #1 pound. So every ten pounds I purchase of Kik, I technically get a free pound of powder. So far I kind of like Kik. It seems to have excellent power and is pretty clean in the burning department. Not as good as Swiss. Maybe tomorrow I will try it in my White and see how well it shoots conicals. I was shooting it again today with 90 grains of Kik 3f and some Sabertooth Conicals to see if they held true, and they actually did a great job.

Cayaga,

I have an RMC with 1/28 twist Green Mountian barrels (24 and 28") and conicals fit way too loose in these barrels and they probably would shoot well if they fit a bit tighter. Can moulds be purchased to cast my own that would be say .001-.002 larger than what is purchased over the counter?

These rifles shoot saboted bullets real well but I still would like to work up an all lead conical load for the carbine barrel but they just don't group well at all. Tighter might work! Any suggestions or comments? I watch your posts and I know you do a bunch of shooting so I figured you might have an answer. So far I have tried the Power belts in many weights, Horndady 385's Great Plains, TC 350 maxi-hunters and Buffalo 270 ball-ets. All were loose fitting and the only one that showed any promise was the 385 Great Plains bullet and I had to push it a 110 grains of 2f Goex.

I would like to find a conical load of 80-90 grains for the 24" barrel shooting those 385's. Could I get some made a bit larger somewhere?

Have you ever tried the 385 grain Buffalo Bullet Conicals? I bought a case of them. The reason I ask is I was shooting them out of my 1:28 twist GMB and they fit real right. Also I shoot Lyman 370 grain maxiball with good accuracy.

There are also custom conicals. Bullshop will make conicals to any diameter you might want.
http://bullshop.gunloads.com/prices.html Dan at BullShop will make some real nice bullets and the prices for them are excellent. I usually get them 500 at a time, but that's only because of the amount I shoot.

That would be some of the places I would look. Otherwise you'd have to buy a mold and cast your own. The problem with that is you never know if they will shoot good until you try them.

One last conical I am testing right now are the Sabertooth Conicals. I bought some 250 & 300 grain and have been shooting them out of my Knight Disc.

Dcp05775.jpg

Just another thought....

Thanks Cayuga. I will try some of those bull bullets and also the Buffalo Bullets.

Dave, I bot some Bullshops from Dan for my White Super 91. They shoot great! They are sized .504 & fit just snug.

Did you ever have any Bullshops sized for your Green Mtn. 50 bbl?

No I never did but have thought about it. I have to get me one of them fancy calipers so I can get more accurate reading on some of the things I cast, and barrels, etc...

I also use the .504 from BullShop. I like the 500 grain NEI and they are really accurate. 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and that rifle will really shoot. When I shoot Goex 3f, then I add some cornmeal and then the conical..

Thanks Dave.

Be sure to post-up if you get a sizing for the GM bbl. I would order some for sure. Maybe I will email Dan & see if he sized some for other 50 cal. GM bbls?

Back