Rough start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got up at 5 to go hunting. Had breakfast and got dressed. Took my ATV up the mtn and got all set up for a morning sit in an area where I could see 600 yards in all directions except due north. I could smell gas and started looking around with my flashlight. Sure enough the foot rest was wet with gas. Removing the panel there was gas dripping out from under the carb. It lookes like I lost a fuel hose but I can't see it. I was able to get it home and now just waiting until light enough to see what's going on. I'll just climb in bed for a bit!

Rough start here as well. Arguing with a fellow on where to go this morning. Stupid stuff! I have 2 deer he has none. I say your pick , wants to argue. Anyways. I'm frustrated now and late. It's raining and I have a long muddy walk across a field I'm dreading. I left without my safety harness and dry seat. I left the climber in a tree from last season. But don't notice till I get to the stand. Ugh. It's now already shooting light but I need a place to go so I grab a stashed blind. Just as I come out of the woods a big 10 is staring at me 200 out. Needless to say he laughed at me, called me stupid and proceeded to leave at warp speed. Mine is completely self induced failure. Hope you get your machine backup and running bronko

Well I took it over to a Polaris dealer as the closest Arctic Cat dealer is 60 miles away. He couldn't fix it but took a look and told me that positively the float on the carb was stuck and carb needed a rebuild. He couldn't get the part from any of his suppliers so I came home and found a rebuild kit on Ebay and ordered it.
Never rebuilt a carb so this is going to be a first. Unless I get my cousin to do it for me. He was a mechanic in the army.

Well I took it over to a Polaris dealer as the closest Arctic Cat dealer is 60 miles away. He couldn't fix it but took a look and told me that positively the float on the carb was stuck and carb needed a rebuild. He couldn't get the part from any of his suppliers so I came home and found a rebuild kit on Ebay and ordered it.
Never rebuilt a carb so this is going to be a first. Unless I get my cousin to do it for me. He was a mechanic in the army.
Do a search on YouTube - I’ll bet there are multiple videos on Arctic Cat carb repair.

How old is your unit? Do you run automotive fuel or rec fuel in it? E10 is hard on small engine carbs. My 97 Honda carb started leaking and I rebuilt it twice and could not get it to stop, I finally bought a whole new carb on Ebay. Problem solved and as a matter of fact it had NEVER started and ran as well as it did with the "cheap" Chinese knock off.

Its a 2012 Arctic Cat and E10 is safe for it. It always ran with no problems until this morning. I took it to the Polaris dealer and as soon as he saw it he told me what was wrong. The float is sticking open causing the gas to drain out.

Its a 2012 Arctic Cat and E10 is safe for it. It always ran with no problems until this morning. I took it to the Polaris dealer and as soon as he saw it he told me what was wrong. The float is sticking open causing the gas to drain out.
E10 was supposed to be safe for my fuel injected motorcycle too but it still ate the pre filter, sucked the sludge up into the pump and killed it. Fortunately there’s a place that sells real unadulterated gasoline near me and that’s all I use anymore.

At least you were able to make it back home. That would have sucked if you couldn't and had to walk back, to get the things you needed to repair it and walk back.
I had already called my buddy and he was waiting for another call to tow me with his ATV should need be. It's good to have friends you can count on no matter what.

I replaced my hoses on my old machine, the ethanol was eating it up and gumming up my carb. I second Seafoam, great stuff and it helps keep the carbs clean and gum free. The carb rebuild isnt too bad, Youtube helps guide you. Good luck with it bronko

Spoke too soon. I still thank Sabotloader for trying to come to my rescue but I went down this morning to put the ATV all back together and it was still dripping. Oh Well its not the end of the world. I pulled the gas line off the carburetor and drained the gas tank, pulled the carburetor and also the fuel petcock valve and going to rebuild the carb and replace the petcock. I should have it up and running next week sometime.
Thank goodness for Youtube. I was wondering how to remove the carb and they talked about removing clamps to get it out! What the heck? When I went down sure enough the carb was not connected directly to the motor like a vehicle by was inline somehow by 2" or so hose clamps! The trickiest part was trying to figure out how to remove the throttle cable which I managed to do. Oh yeah after everything was disconnected to actually get the carb out from all the hoses and frame and other gadgets!

By any chance does it have a fuel cut off valve? If so, they will leak if not turned off when not running

By any chance does it have a fuel cut off valve? If so, they will leak if not turned off when not running
Yes but that's on the other side of the ATV. BTW I'm replacing that too. Also I was just checking on Ebay and I had purchased the rebuild kit for $42 and for some reason I did a search for a new carb and found one new in box OEM for $50. That's a no brainer. The rebuild kit is going right back to the seller.

Back