Rough start

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our toys can sometimes cause us pains at the most inappropriate times. Murphy????

Just today spent $900 on 4 new tires for the Ranger, and on Tuesday it goes to the dealership to find out why it won't go into turf mode.
Always something.

You'll be back in business with the new carb............

Yes but that's on the other side of the ATV. BTW I'm replacing that too. Also I was just checking on Ebay and I had purchased the rebuild kit for $42 and for some reason I did a search for a new carb and found one new in box OEM for $50. That's a no brainer. The rebuild kit is going right back to the seller.
In my situation I left the valve on and it was slowly leaking till the tank was empty and the carb was flooded or some kind of messed up. I took it to the repair shop (I didnt have time or energy to mess with it at the time) and he took everything apart, rebuilt the carb (which it needed anyway) and then realized the shutoff valve was open. Closing the valve solved the problem

A couple of years back I read an interesting book called "Make Prayers to the Raven," which was written by an anthropologist who spent a couple of years living with and studying an Indian tribe which lives in Alaska, on a major tributary to the Yukon River. Nowadays, of course, they have ATVs, snowmobiles, aluminum boats, outboard motors, centerfire rifles, chainsaws, propane appliances, and all the rest.... but much of their culture was still intact at the time the book was written. The tribe's leader, old Chief Henry, and his wife spent many, many hours teaching the author everything they could about tribal language, religion, culture, customs, history, ways of living, and so forth. It's a fascinating book.

One day some of the teenagers came to Chief Henry and asked "Chief Henry, why don't we just ditch all this troublesome white man gear and live like our ancestors did?" Chief Henry was silent for a minute, and then said "Have you ever kept yourself alive by eating ptarmigan droppings?" No Indian who lived by aboriginal ways was ever more than about 3 weeks from starving to death - and many of them died that way. In New Mexico, the Anasazi name for spring means "the season when the babies die, " because spring was usually when stored food ran out, and game was hardest to find.

As frustrating as the trappings of modern life can be sometimes, I am still very grateful for them. Best of luck with your ATV!

Our toys can sometimes cause us pains at the most inappropriate times. Murphy????

Just today spent $900 on 4 new tires for the Ranger, and on Tuesday it goes to the dealership to find out why it won't go into turf mode.
Always something.

You'll be back in business with the new carb............
Encore you might want to do a YouTube search on that. My Dodge Dakota wouldn't lock into 4WD either and all it was was the ground wire came off and wouldn't allow the switch to operate.

Encore you might want to do a YouTube search on that. My Dodge Dakota wouldn't lock into 4WD either and all it was was the ground wire came off and wouldn't allow the switch to operate.
Thank you.

I've already checked the wiring that I can. I've even pulled part of the dash and verified all the wiring to the switch was good.

Mine is a 2018 Polaris Ranger XP1000. I haven't checked the XP site lately, but the turf mode can cause some issues, especially for the guys that raise hell with their machines in tuff mode. I do not raise hell with mine. Never.
They have a solenoid that will go bad at times, requiring replacement too. The clutch system is not allowing immediate shifting from either H, L, or R. I have to wait a few seconds for it to be able to shift.

Just more work that I want to get into, especially with my knee. It won't be much longer and snow plowing will become a daily process here, sometimes multiple times a day, so I need it fixed soon and most of all, correct.

Good catch with the fuel shutoff valve.

Inside it has a 0-ring and diaphragm. I change mine out every three years, regardless! If you take a carb apart and see small black particles, it’s the o-ring/diaphragm.
Oh, the shutoff valve is DOWNSTREAM from the tank. Next in, THE CARB! I actually fit in a clear fuel filter inline between the valve and carb. YFM400NN.

Just my 2 cents have a 2007 Can Am Outlander fuel injected. I always run unleaded without ethanol. Treat it with Amsoil stabilizer an Amsoil P. I. never had any fuel problems. Do the same for the generator at the hunting camp trailer. It is well worth it. I have even ran 116 octane drag racing gas also wuth no problems.

Last edited:
Ethanol is hard on rubber and plastic parts, period. Newer manufactured parts a far more resistant to the effects of ethanol but are still affected. I read your other post and I think you will be much happier with a new carb. I might also suggest if possible, to run rec fuel instead of E10. I run it in all my small engines and my outboard motors and I no longer have to use additives for storage or have any fuel related issues. I know it cost a little more and availability can be an issue, but IMO it's worth it. Wow, this post got screwed up. This is what happens when the cat walks on your keyboard.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back