Round ball in my 50cal Knight - ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whelen B

Reaction score
I have a 28" twist 50cal Knight LK-93 using musket caps. How will accuracy be using traditional patched .490 round balls. Terrible or passable? Any one ever try them in a fast twist?

I have been shooting sabots with XTPs which work well. But I was just wanting a more inexpensive option for paper punching. So I was wondering whether or not a round ball would be suitably accurate for targets with such a twist.

Had a Knight Light Contour Disc Elite extreme .50.Shot a 7 pointer deer at 85 yard with patch and ball with 80gr. of Tripple7 . Perfect hit in lungs.The deer drop in his paces.The ball was the size of a quater(.25) did not pass throught.
Pratice shot at 50 yards where clover. and 1.5 "high
Taureau noir

Whelen B, I have a Knight Bighorn (26" bbl., 1:28 twist) that handles round balls pretty well too. However, it is very sensitive to powder granulation, ball diameter, and patch thickness. To date, I've got the best performance with 60 grs. of either Pyrodex RS or Goex FFg with a .490" RB and .010" patch. A .014" patch will do in a pinch, but your rifle may have different preferences than mine.

I haven't tried them in my Knight, but they shoot one ragged hole out of my Remington 700ML over 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. I wouldn't be afraid to deer hunt with them.

I shoot a Knight LK-II in .50 caliber. I load 50 grains of 3f powder or less, and a patched roundball and its very accurate.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll give it a whirl. I just wanted to know if there was a fair chance of success. Appreciate the load specifics too. I already shoot with PyrodexRS and Goex 2F so I'll only need to get the patches and balls.

I shot this 3 shots @ 25 yard target the other day at the end of a range session just foolin around. This is with the same scope setting I use at 100 yards with a 240 grain bullet/sabot. The gun is sighted in 1" high @ 100 yards. Gun is Rem 700ML. I was using a .490 ball and pillow ticking soaked with spit.

100_0600.jpg

Back