Rust in the bore.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new to me renegade has some corrosion in the barrel. The corrosion doesn't look to be bad (surface) and I want to clean the rust out and see how it shoots. I've had the barrel in the vice using a bronze brush and Hoppe's as a solvent. I have an impressive amount of sludge that I have got out but can still see evidence of the rust. Any suggestions as to how I can better do this? Thanks.
Put some jb bore paste and some 0000 steel wool around a jag and scrub !

TRESO JAGS.jpegROD & JAGS.jpegSo, shipping cost a bunch but it did get here in days and not weeks, months or even never. So nice to get all new gear for my rifles and not be searching through the bent and broken gear in my box. The quality is amazing compared to other stuff on the market. We don't get quality equipment like this north of the border so thanks for the help and advice Lewis. Much appreciated !!

View attachment 14465View attachment 14466So, shipping cost a bunch but it did get here in days and not weeks, months or even never. So nice to get all new gear for my rifles and not be searching through the bent and broken gear in my box. The quality is amazing compared to other stuff on the market. We don't get quality equipment like this north of the border so thanks for the help and advice Lewis. Much appreciated !!

AWESOME!! That is EXACTLY what i use, and have been using from my beginning in Muzzleloading, Everything you have there is GOOD Quality, DURABLE Stuff :lewis:

I ordered the same stuff and it came in today too. Nice quality and will throw out my brass stuff, or give it to a "friend" 🤫

I am confident you will be happy with it. I use mine HARD, But you would never know by looking at any of it, GOOD QUALITY Stuff :lewis:

A lot of folks don’t realize how important a Good Range Type Rod is, Not just at the Range, But more importantly Cleaning your Dirty Rifle afterwards, especially with Real Blackpowder and it’s substitutes such as Pyrodex & Triple Seven, It is IMPORTANT to get a GOOD TIGHT Patch down, get in those Grooves!! You simply can NOT do this with a Gun Rod, It takes a Rod that you can CONFIDENTLY Put “Power” to, and know that it won’t Break, or Pull apart.

If you are not Seeing the Bore GROOVES imprinted in the Patch? You are NOT getting your Bore completely Clean, a Bore scope will show it, BELIEVE me ;)

I would be lost without my Range Rods, My gun Rods are USELESS when it comes to Cleaning

So cleaning begins this weekend. I'm in no rush as I have the rest of the gun in pieces to clean and refinish the stock. Years of sitting in a safe and there are those annoying little rust spots in places that no one ever looks. There's nothing serious enough that a little work with 0000 wool & oil wont deal with. The bluing is near perfect and with a little TLC it'll come alive again. I am curious Idaho, where did you get that leather recoil pad that I see on one of you guns. Did you remove the brass and trim the butt before fitting. It's a nice addition and probably a bit more comfortable than than the steel butt plate on the Renegade.

Back