RW Barnes load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcurtis

Reaction score
Shot RW N120 (57.1grs) load with the Barnes 300gr orig today. The best groups I have ever shot out of any MZ. I have owned and shot them all over the last 35 years. The problem is I only have 25 bullets left and understand that there will not be any more until Jan 06. I do have a good load with 45grs XMP-5744 and 300gr Hor XTP bullets. This is probably what I'll take deer hunting. Season starts Oct 15 here in NY. First year with Savage. Last 4 years have killed several deer with Encore 444 Powder Belts and 115grs ff 777. Have not had too track any, hope the Savage and XTP work as well.

tpcurtis said:
Shot RW N120 (57.1grs) load with the Barnes 300gr orig today. The best groups I have ever shot out of any MZ. I have owned and shot them all over the last 35 years. The problem is I only have 25 bullets left and understand that there will not be any more until Jan 06.

That's good to hear. I'll send your post off to Barnes; maybe they will try to speed things up? :shock: :wink:

Welcome tpcurtis! Where abouts in NY do you hunt? I hunt mostly Orange Co. and this will be my first year with the Savage.

Welcome Curtis,

I hunt Dutchess Co. and this will be my first year with the Savage as well.

JC

wyprong.jpg

I live and hunt in Chenango County. I hunt early muzzleloading season in the Northern zone in the Happy Valley Wildlife Mang. Area in Oswego County. Have used muzzleloaders for deer hunting since 1975. Prior to this year I have been using a TC Encore 50 cal with 115gr ff 777 with 444gr lead powderbelts. My longest shots are 70-80 yds, most at 40 yds. These bullets have never failed me and I don't have to look for them in the heavy cover I hunt. Have killed over 30 deer with this bullet and only have recovered one bullet. I'll be hunting with the Savage this year with the 300gr Hor XTP and 45gr XMP 5744. I would use the 300gr Barnes Orig and 57.1gr N120 if I had more bullets, next year.

October 1st muzzy opener in NY?

tpcurtis,

Have I missed something?

I thought the earely MZ season proposal was s-caned by the DEC and the NY bow-hunters.

Please tell me I am wrong!

gbb

Back