RWS 1075 PLUS #11 CAPS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flounder said:
Ed,
I don't shop at Cabelers much but the last two times I was in there they didn't have a #11 cap in the joint and didn't know when they would be able to get any. There is a Cabela's retail store about 20 miles from me. All Scheels had were the CCI regular and I didn't want them. I thought about buying some of the rws musket caps at Ahlman's but they were 10.99 a hundred and u know I'm a cheap skate.
The RWS 1075 are a great cap but they are just a little too tight so I like the Rems on some of my nipples. Is having a choice and having reasonable prices too dang much to ask these days?
I'm going to spend my time ice fishing for a while anyway so to let them replenish their supplies. 8)
Art

Art, that is exactly why I use them... by the time you press them on the nipple they are virtually water and air tight. The convolutions on the sides of the of the cap expand and form a great seal on the nipple. The down side they have to be peeled off with a knife blade if you do not shoot them off. I have hunted all day in the rain and snow with them and they go boom when needed.

The #11 Mag type caps produce the same temperature of heat as does the Musket cap - so if your powder is dry there really is not advantage there. The only advantage of the musket cap is it produces the heat for a longer period of time. But again if your powder is right it does not need a long duration - it needs heat now....

Even the touch holes in the nipples are the same size

Pete,
Thanks for the info and the good illustrations. But... sometimes the 1075s just seem too tight and even if I press as hard as i can on the inline capper it still takes the second hammer strike to make them go bang... on some nipples. So, in my opinion, you can either sand a bit off from that nipple or you can get a full sized #11 cap. I have used rws, cci, cci magnum, remington, winchester, fucci or whatever that one is, and the New Remington caps. The only one that I have never had a misfire from is the New Remington. Call me CRAZY, but something about that makes me want to get some more of them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

flounder said:
Pete,
Thanks for the info and the good illustrations. But... sometimes the 1075s just seem too tight and even if I press as hard as i can on the inline capper it still takes the second hammer strike to make them go bang... on some nipples. So, in my opinion, you can either sand a bit off from that nipple or you can get a full sized #11 cap. I have used rws, cci, cci magnum, remington, winchester, fucci or whatever that one is, and the New Remington caps. The only one that I have never had a misfire from is the New Remington. Call me CRAZY, but something about that makes me want to get some more of them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man you can not argue that...

I have used a lot of different nipples... the best one I have found for #11's or even the 10 3/4" 1075+ cap is the AMPCO bronze nipple... and the best capper I have found for applying the cap is a Traditions capper... I can not believe I am recommending a Traditions anything... but it has a brass spade on the end of the capper that presses the cap on without flexing... a must...

Track of the Wolf no longer carries the AMPCO - Jedediah Star does though...

http://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.a ... 76&pid=863

But then there still is a problem... the touch hole is .028-9 and that is to small for a mag cap (hangfires) so when I order them I drill them out to .031 and everything is great just like the ones I use to get from TOW...

11-50-01closeup.jpg

Look up AMPCo bronze and see how strong/tough it is..

But I also understand if you do not want to drill them out - but heck I could do that for you...

i I quess im lucky i have a gun shop 20 min. away that has them for 5.00 a hundred :D

I bought a box of 1000 several years ago for $40, guy looked at me kinda funny, but it was the best thing I ever did (ML wise). I pickup some Remingtons ever now an then, 8) 8) but I should be good for a couple decades....

Back