Sabot Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banchigu

Reaction score
Hello Folks:

I hope this post finds all of you well.

I came across a mess of 405 grain .459 cast bullets and I want to shoot them out of my .54 caliber Renegade. However, I can only find sabots that take .452 bullets.

I found this post from 2013,,,

I shot a lot of Lee .459" 340gr lead bullets in my .54cal. They shot just as good or better than jacketed. You should keep velocities at 2200 fps or less depending on the alloy you choose. In my rifle they shot better than Maxi's and as good as Lee R.E.A.L. w/ felt wad. Performance on deer is also dependent on velocities and chosen alloy.

What sabot do you all figure this gent was using?

Best
-a

I have some .54 caliber sabots red in color made by MMP. I think they are for a .452 bullet. But I cast a .459 bullet and I have thrown them in those. Let me do some checking on that though before I commit to what they will do.

I have shot .452 in harvester green .429-.430 size bullets. they shoot well, but are tight to load. (at least in an older Triumph I used at the time)

Harvester red 54x45 sabots are the easier to load than the MMP 54x45 but i highly doubt you will get a 405gr bullet to stabilize in the slow twist Renegade.

Thanks to all, now they fit, they just don't set all the way to the bottom of the sabot seat. Ideally I guess they should but do they have to?

GM54-120 said:
Harvester red 54x45 sabots are the easier to load than the MMP 54x45 but i highly doubt you will get a 405gr bullet to stabilize in the slow twist Renegade.

The gent that made the post I quoted claimed he got good accuracy. I am looking to use them on a nilgai hunt.

GM54-120 said:

While a 405gr .458 might be marginally stable from a 1-48", it probably won't remain such when it encounters muscle and bone.

banchigu said:
GM54-120 said:

The gent that made the post I quoted claimed he got good accuracy. I am looking to use them on a nilgai hunt.

The gent you quoted was also shooting a 340gr according to your post which would be shorter than a 405gr. Was this person also shooting a Renegade or a inline 54cal with a 1-28" twist?

GM54-120 said:
banchigu said:
GM54-120 said:

The gent you quoted was also shooting a 340gr according to your post which would be shorter than a 405gr. Was this person also shooting a Renegade or a inline 54cal with a 1-28" twist?

You are correct I misread the post...

I just checked them with the Harvester sabot and it almost seats to the bottom and with the T/C super glide they fit well in the 451-452

You know what folks, I just realized I have a 430 grain Maxi Ball mold I used on an elk hunt and on a bison. I am just going to use that. I just bought about 200 of these at a gun show for 5.00 and thought I would use them. I will melt them down and recast them for my wife's inline and her Lee 452-252 grain bullet.

Latest posts

Back