Sabot Situation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncob

Reaction score
Late this afternoon, I was putting the final touches on HB 161's deer load. I had a sub moa group that was three inches high, so I made a scope adjustment and proceeded to stuff a 300 XTP using the black plastic starter tool. I noticed two petals of the MMP short sabot had separated from the base. I could tell they were separated b/c they were tight against the bullet, but extending a smidge above the bullet.

I decided to seat the bullet and it went down way to easy. After a bit more consideration, I decided to primer-up and shoot and I expected it to be a flyer. Two primers later, I concluded it was not going to bang. Now what?

I decided against removing the breech plug and found the bullet puller that I bought 18 months ago, but had never used. It worked like a champ. the bullet came out, the sabot came next (seems logical), dumped the powder and then fired another primer.

The next shot was dead on and I decided to call it quits. Now that you've heard the story, should I have handled it differently?

BR's - Cob

decided against removing the breech plug and found the bullet puller that I bought 18 months ago, but had never used. It worked like a champ. the bullet came out, the sabot came next (seems logical), dumped the powder and then fired another primer.

I always try removing a bullet with a bullet puller as you did FIRST. If that doesn't work you can ALWAYS remove the breech plug. Good job.

Being able to get the bullet out without pulling the breech plug saved you a lot of time and headache. :wink: Sounds good to me. :)

. Two primers later, I concluded it was not going to bang. Now what?

Hmm, sounds like possibly the charge was not seated properly, then lifted even more with the next attempts. Did you reseat the charge prior to re-priming and attempting to fire again?

I'm thinking the damaged petals compromised the seal and cornsequently with no back pressure, there was no ignition.
G

At least you had a bullet puller at the ready, which is more than I can say. :oops:

Doohan said:
NOPE!

Powder in the breech threads is a real downer!
last year sportsmans guide had the slickest little air compressor, it was a single hot dog style,oil lubed and above all very light and compact. takes up about the same square footage on your bench as a computer monitor. cost was 62 and shipping brought it to about 75 bucks[i think this is same unit that craftsmen is peddling for 100. anyway from timt to time i still see it in their catalogs.total solution for any cleaning issues like this.....

Latest posts

Back