Sabots for 20ga

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like my crimps are pretty consistent. I was thinking the same thing (if one doesn't roll down quite as far as the other, but still looks good).

I'm using the 250gr Deep Curl and the 275gr Barnes hollow point, so they're not sticking past the crimp. I'm shooting the Savage 220, so it's clip fed, which shouldn't matter either.

I was thinking of buying some more sabots (almost out) and getting their gas seal to try. I looked all over for a different style, but can't find anything out there. Here's what I'm using...

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/20ga-Obturator-gas-seal-250_bag/productinfo/02020/

I don't think my bore is oversized. I can't push the seal down the bore without using a ramrod and a lot of pressure. There seems to be a flaw in the design of the seal. It's hard to explain, but there is are 2 notches on opposite sides of the seal that leave the wall a little thinner in those 2 spots. That's where I'm seeing them blown out.

I don't know my velocities yet. But I'm guessing I'm abetween 1400-1500fps based on the center of my last groups. I was approx dead on at 50 and about 3-4" low at 100 yds. I want it a little faster so I can take that rare 150yd shot (very long shot where I hunt). But so far, if I push it faster, I get the irratic groups (8+ inches at 50yds). When I tried 31 grains Blue Dot, my group at 50 yds was 2+ feet and the sabot was blown apart.

Another factor I'm thinking might be an issue... I'm putting 60lbs pressure when I seat the slug. I'm going to try a few at 30lbs and see if that makes a difference.

I'm spending more money that I was planning trying to find a good load, but I'm having a lot of fun trying to figure it out (I'm liking the challenge). My guess is the seal design and seating pressure are my problems.[/url]

Greg,

Can you tell me if your recovered sabots are bulging at the base? Mine are bulging a little. I think this might be caused because the sabots are a little oversized to my bore??? I tried pushing them down the barrel at one time to see how well they engage the rifling, but couldn't even get it started. On the sabots I recover that are entact, the rifling engagement looks great, the petals are opened nicely, but the bases are bulging out a little bit. Also, when loading, I can't push the sabots past the edge of the hull by hand, they're so tight. I have to use the reloading press to get them seated before I use the gage to figure out how much pressure to seat them to. My gage when pushing the sabots into the hull reads 30-35 pounds. I seated my last loads at 40 lbs, instead of 60lbs and got some promising groups, but still had a couple fliers. I was using 28gr Blue Dot because 31gr Blue Dot (and anything over 21gr Longshot) seems to blow out the seal and I get irratic groups.

FYI... Loading 20gr of Longshot hits the target almost identical as the 28gr Blue Dot loads w/ a 250gr Deep Curl.

Bannerbird,

We had Marylands youth season and my 14 year old son carried the T/C 20 gauge slug gun. My son was part of a large group hunt we put togehter for 12 young hunters.

Saturday evening he shot a 7 pt and a large doe with my 20 gauge slug reloads and the guide he was hunting with said he had never seen deer shot with slugs go down so fast. Neither deer took more that 2 steps and fell over. The Hornady 250gr FTX bullet in the slug reloads kiils quickly.

Chocdog

I just located site...not up on slug shoorting...I realize age of thread etc and so on.

Like what I read...so have to ask. I have 20 ga Encore, 22-slug bbl and wish to "roll me own," but not much out there like metallics etc.

I understand the 20 gauge is same as 58 bore muzzle loader, if so. Would using 58 gauge sabot with 45 bullet work? Seems a simple path.

Anyone tried, etc?

Latest posts

Back