*SAFETY ALERT* Huntsman/Sidekick Owners, CRACKED Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
I just purchased a brand new H&R Sidekick with the 5/8" breech plug. While inspecting it, like I do with all firearms purchases, I found a dangerous flaw in the breech plug. At first I thought it was a scratch, but further checking revealed the major defect in the stainless steel. This defect runs the entire length of the plug, and was obviously in the raw material used to make the plug. There is no doubt in my mind that there are others with this same flaw, at minimum the plugs produced on either side of mine in the bar stock. There is also two cracks on the external that run through the threads, but the camera (my lack of camera skills) could not pick it up.

CHECK YOUR PLUGS!

I called down to BIG GREEN'S Customer Service, after 17 minutes of the "phone game" I was able to let the representative know of this defect. He was not at all concerned with the defect, didn't even know the sizes of the breech plugs. Tried telling me that the breech plugs were 1/2" and 5/8", and all he had in stock were the 1/2" plugs. After I explained to him that they only have 5/8" and 7/8" breech plugs, he still wanted to differ, so he put me on hold until he could get a technical answer from someone who knew. He will be shipping me a new breech plug, but didn't want the cracked one back??? I guess they could care less about other peoples SAFETY! I know mine is not the only one out there, that is why I am issuing this ALERT.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with Customer Service.

I have pics, sorry they are not of better quality, but you will be able to see the MAJOR DEFECT. This is a brand new breech plug out of a brand new rifle that is capable of shooting 150 grain MAGNUM charges.

008-6.jpg

010-5.jpg

012-6.jpg

016-3.jpg

017-5.jpg

New pics of a couple of the exterior cracks, there are several.

296.jpg

298.jpg

for the life of me, I can't see why they wouldn't want that back to ivestagate.

probably a casting issue, its bound to throw out a number of them. On a brand new plug though, something like that should have been spotted by the naked eye.

I wonder if they they changed anything....or if this is just the usual method they did their castings. I wonder if they drill the whole out after or try to cast that in....doesn't look right to me..

made in the ol U S Of A.

Its a simple yet dangerous flaw that was over looked by inspectors. Always will be a flaw in something that rolls off the line.

I'd fire all my "flawed" inspectors. 8) Maybe that'd wake 'em up. Absolutely no excuse for this. :evil:

lol im with you on that. I could understand if the rifle had been fired and developed those cracks but when its brand new and those are there, That just isnt right and someone over looked the plug badly.

The other crappy issue is the guy on the phone not having any knowledge of the product and arguing with the customer over something that needs to be taken seriously no matter what.

Batchief909 said:
CVA musta sold 'em some.... :shock: :lol: :wink:

+1 :shock: :shock:

Just goes to show you , no matter where its made you can still have flaws , USA or Spain.. :wink:

Way to go busta thanx for looking out. I guess we can see where big greens quality control is headed. Good thing you really checked out that gun who knows what could have happened if you had shot it.

plug

I seriously doubt that these were cast. They would be made on some kind of CNC turning center. I'm with Busta on this, probably flawed bar stock! Probley did not get stress relieved or drawn back after heat treat.
Wayles

Joes said:
Way to go busta thanx for looking out. I guess we can see where big greens quality control is headed. Good thing you really checked out that gun who knows what could have happened if you had shot it.

It was probably made by NEF prior to Remington. I don't think they are making anything yet.

frontier gander said:
probably a casting issue, its bound to throw out a number of them. On a brand new plug though, something like that should have been spotted by the naked eye.

These plugs are not cast, they are turned on a CNC Lathe from bar stock. The flaw was in the material before it was machined. The void is in the shape of a hockey stick, it looks like a crack but is a void and runs the entire length (just under 1-1/2"), in the same pattern.

Batchief909 said:
I'd fire all my "flawed" inspectors. 8) Maybe that'd wake 'em up. Absolutely no excuse for this. :evil:

I say there WERE no inspectors. I could teach a 6yo to throw away all breechplugs that have cracks in them!

I would doubt that there is anyone in the Industry doing 100% visual inspection on breechplugs. I they were, than may be Knight's would not have so many burrs on them. I look at all my breechplugs under 10X magnification for defects and remove all burrs.

It may have broken apart if you had not noticed it. The plant in Gardner MA that made those guns had serious problems. The plant has closed or will soon be closed.

Looks like their public realtions stink.

I say there WERE no inspectors.

Most modern companies have few if any inspectors. If there are any, they just check samples of each batch. The Japanese invented these methods of manufacture I believe.

Cerberus - the three-headed dog guarding the gates of Hades.

Apparently they are looking to help folks through the gate.

Latest posts

Back