*SAFETY ALERT* Huntsman/Sidekick Owners, CRACKED Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swampman said:
Cerberus didn't make this gun.

That is not the point, I'm not so sure H&R/NEF made the breech plug either, they probably have a contract with a vendor.

The problem as I see it, is the fact that this plug got installed in a rifle in the first place. The BIGGER problem is REMINGTON'S PISS POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. WHAT Company in their right mind would not want the plug back to at least examine it. They have been for at least 21 years, and continue to be the WORST company I have ever dealt with. The Customer (DIS) Service is in Madison, NC, the manufacturing, service and repair is in Ilion, NY. The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. I'm not saying that they can't make rifles and shotguns, they make some of the best, it is what you do to take care of the occasional bad one that measures a Company's metal.

I am not positive, but am pretty sure BIG GREEN assembled (or these were assembled while under their control in 2008) these H&R stamped Sidekicks. I know they were discontinued in early 2008, but I'm quite sure there would have been barrels made with lugs already welded on and frames that were cast already that were not yet assembled. Cabelas ran out of the NEF stamped Sidekicks about 2 or 3 months ago. Then, miraculously they got another shippment of H&R stamped Sidekicks in. I did not buy mine from Cabelas, but I have confirmation from someone who did buy a H&R stamped Sidekick from them right before they ran out for the last time. My GUESS, and is only a GUESS, is that Remington stamped the ones made under their control with the H&R stamp to be able to identify the ones they made. If you haven't noticed, the old NEF Handi Rifles are also stamped Harrington & Richardson, just like the Ultra Rifles are.

Anyway, I did not get a call or any response from anyone at Remington. NO SURPRISE HERE!

I just shudder to think, what if someone bought this thing...took it to the range...loaded 150 grains of pellets or 120 grains powder...under a 490 grain conical...approved loads...then dropped the hammer??? And worse yet, the representative at Remington could give a chit less. I don't totally blame him though, Remington has been culturing IDIOTS like him to work for them for at least the last 21 years. The dog might have three heads, but they are all firmly implanted!

[EDIT] Changed SC to NC, got my Carolinas mixed up. :roll:

I'd take Busta's word for it before I'd ever try to make light of it otherwise.

I take notice whenever he has something to say,,,and Busta usually doesn't say too much. But when he does,,,I tend to pay close attention.... :wink:

My replacement breech plug arrived in the mail yesterday, and appears to be in good condition. I am satisfied on my end, but still for the life of me can't figure why they would not want the defective plug. I guess, if they didn't see it, it didn't happen. :roll:

I posted a couple new pics of a couple cracks on the exterior running the length of the threads. After closer examination with the naked eye, I have found several others, some only 1/4" long, some the length of the threads. I was afraid to put it under magnification once I seen all those. :shock:

I sure hope there are not others out there, but look closely, some of thse cracks are hairline cracks.

Just wanted to let you guys know what the outcome was.

the 7/8 breech plug has not been made for several years I had on in a huntsman and when the sidekick came out they changed to the 5/8 breech plug FYI

Morris said:
the 7/8 breech plug has not been made for several years I had on in a huntsman and when the sidekick came out they changed to the 5/8 breech plug FYI

Morris,

Thanks for the information, but I have a 2003 NEF Huntsman, 2004 NEF Sidekick, both with 7/8" breech plugs. The 5/8" breech plug came out in 2005 for both the NEF Huntsman and Sidekick. I do have a few 7/8" breech plugs, some custom, and a couple 5/8"plugs. :wink:

007-7.jpg

007-3.jpg

The New rifle I just bought is a H&R Sidekick 26" magnum with the 5/8" breech plug.

315.jpg

Here is the difference in the plugs FYI.

301.jpg

303.jpg

294.jpg

292.jpg

Latest posts

Back