Same Load Times 3

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
We all know that each rifle in different.What one likes the other might not, which is why we all work up an accurate load for our guns. However after yesterday I decided to see if the fast twist mountaineer would also shoot the same load as the White and the original Disc. It was hot and also extremely windy but I was curious enough to head out anyway.

I had a weaver 6.5x 20 scope, not my favorite , but I figured it would do for the test. so on it went.

It took quite a few shots to sight it in , probably about 10 or 12. I didn't actually keep up. Normally I clean after each shot with triple 777 but this time I didn't since I was loading GG slip fit conicals. By the time it was sighted in and ready to shoot a group I could really feel the crud ring and so I made sure I compressed the load down good. I probably should have cleaned it at least with a spit patch but I chose to just shoot the group instead. Here's what it looked like

Almost looks like 2 different groups. It could have been me, could have been the conditions and most likely it was the lack of swabbing between shots.
But while it ain't great I think it falls within hunting accuracy .Tthat means that if I wanted , I could probably grab any of the 1:20's and hunt with that same load.That might keep me from forgetting what load is for what gun :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The ballistics would be the same ,so it 's kinda nice not to have to remember a bunch of different holdovers . One load, with everything being close across the board. Even the extra inch or 2 of barrel length didn't seem to matter much.
I did encounter a problem with the primer sticking in the primer pocket, It needs polished for sure as the bolt had to be smacked pretty good to get it to open.Other than that I was pleasantly pleased . I think I might carry this experiment a little further in the future.

First I am surprised that you didn't have to run a damp patch after the 4-5th shot since I know you were using 209 primers. I still would have thought you would have enough obstruction to feel the difficulty in seating the bullet.

Then I would ask with the O DISC did you run a patch after each shot. I know I do not have to every time but when shooting for accuracy I always do as I want the bore in the same condition each shot - what I call 'semi fouled'. If you did with the O DISC but didn't with the Mountaineer that could have some bearing - but still the target group you presented would sure have done the job in a hunting situation.

Most of would say 'good shooting' with a hunting bullet and load!!!

Still think you should have had that shoot off with Frontier Gander when he tought his rifle would out shoot everyone's!

Nothing wrong with that, especially for the 1st time out - assume distance is 125yds again.
I would think the wad is assisting (scraping) for more repeated shots, although we all know the 1st is what counts and maybe, MAYBE a 2nd; after that what's the point unless your just playing.
Bullet is in the barrel a little longer than a CF. So, IMO position and hold can certainly effect impact. My blue 1:20, I just let it recoil as it wishes, if I try to bear down and hold it tight - it doesn't shoot AS well. The one I made (it's a 1:18 tho) it's about the opposite with hold.
Thanks for sharing.
Time for you to find another 1:20 !

52Bore said:
Nothing wrong with that, especially for the 1st time out - assume distance is 125yds again.
I would think the wad is assisting (scraping) for more repeated shots, although we all know the 1st is what counts and maybe, MAYBE a 2nd; after that what's the point unless your just playing.
Bullet is in the barrel a little longer than a CF. So, IMO position and hold can certainly effect impact. My blue 1:20, I just let it recoil as it wishes, if I try to bear down and hold it tight - it doesn't shoot AS well. The one I made (it's a 1:18 tho) it's about the opposite with hold.
Thanks for sharing.
Time for you to find another 1:20 !
I think you might be right about the hold . as far as another 1:20 if the right one comes along , well , its a possibility :)

If you feel the need to use a lead bullet why not use the best? The 40/260 DeadCenter is second to none. Spend all the time you want with lead bullets, but your just waisting time. But maybe you have lots of time :D :wink:

Grouse said:
If you feel the need to use a lead bullet why not use the best? The 40/260 DeadCenter is second to none. Spend all the time you want with lead bullets, but your just waisting time. But maybe you have lots of time :D :wink:
If you look at the poll on HN you will see that the Mountaineer was sighted in with theDead Centers and 130 gr powder .I wasnt looking to develop a hunting load for the Mountaineer i simply wanted to know if the Mountaineer would shoot the same load as the Disc or the White since it is a 1:20 also . As far as wasting my time , i dont consider shooting lead conicals a waste of time . I actually think its a good use of my time , as i can shoot more for less . If something happens to where i dont have factory bullets ,i have lots of lead so it might be a good thing .
Light and fast or slow and heavy , they both do the job for me .
I like both .if i had to choose then i actually would probably choose big heavy slow lead . Fortunately , at this time, i dont have to choose , i can use both
On a side note the poll shows overwhelming votes 11 to 2 in favor of the big lead bullet for an elk hunt over even the Dead Centers

Grouse said:
Spend all the time you want with lead bullets, but your just waisting time. But maybe you have lots of time :D :wink:
Just curious as to why you think that . Could you explain ?

1874sharpsshooter said:
Grouse said:
Spend all the time you want with lead bullets, but your just waisting time. But maybe you have lots of time :D :wink:

Not sure what you want me to explain, but I'll tell you about my in the field results. I never relied on what others thought about what I should use for hunting. I've used so many different bullets over the years I just found out what worked best over the years in the field. Since we're talking about lead I've shot a large number of Deer size game with heavy conicals. Let me specify heavy to me is between 300 and 400grn conicals. Never used one in the field over 400grns that I can remember. And I've also shot roughly 30 to 40 Deer and Pigs using the 40/260grn DeadCenter. There is absolutely no comparison on game on most shots. Shoulder shots and mainly shots hitting bone/ribs the DeadCenter performs much better. And the DeadCenter is ballisticaly a lot better as well. But at my hunting ranges that doesn't even matter. I see no challenge in shooting anything over 100 yards myself. I've shot three bull Elk on public land and none were over 75 yards. But shoot what you like, round balls will kill Elk but I just like better myself.

I should mention I know places like we're you live you got to shoot at long ranges. Ecspecially in those big open fields. My hunting is mostly woods.

Grouse said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
Grouse said:

Not sure what you want me to explain,
Why you say i am wasting my time .thats what i was wanting you to explain . I think i know now. Thanks

Grouse said:
I should mention I know places like we're you live you got to shoot at long ranges. Ecspecially in those big open fields. My hunting is mostly woods.
For long range (over 200 yds) i admit i prefer Dead Centers , sst's, or Parker , even parker sabotless .

1874sharpsshooter said:
Grouse said:
1874sharpsshooter said:

Why you say i am wasting my time .thats what i was wanting you to explain . I think i know now. Thanks

I was being sarcastic, I thought I put a smiley face or a wink but maybe not. Nothing personal. Still waiting to hear about that ventliner :poke:

Grouse said:
1874sharpsshooter said:
Grouse said:

I was being sarcastic, I thought I put a smiley face or a wink but maybe not. Nothing personal. Still waiting to hear about that ventliner :poke:
Oh i plum forgot about that . It happens to be in the original disc as matter of fact .

Latest posts

Back