Savage Blued / Laminate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage Blued / Laminate 10ML

• I would like to see a Savage blued (chrome moly) laminate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would NOT be interested in a 10ML Blued / Laminate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Grouse said:
Blued/Laminate would be about the last thing Savage needs to do.

Third pillar
lighten the gun
bolt stop
loose the vent-liner
Recoil pad

You guy's get the point. :D

I agree with part of that, however I am adding weight to mine instead of reducing the weight

I voted yes, but I would really like to see it in a left handed version!

Matt

HighTechRedneck said:
Grouse said:
Blued/Laminate would be about the last thing Savage needs to do.

Third pillar
lighten the gun
bolt stop
loose the vent-liner
Recoil pad

You guy's get the point. :D

I agree with part of that, however I am adding weight to mine instead of reducing the weight

:lol: Can we all hear the reason behind that???? :)

I voted yes.

i like the looks of a blued rifle a lot better than the stainless guns when hunting and also when the blueing gets old,i can Parkerize it for a dull matte finish that would look even better

Too me the advantages are that the blued barrel might have a slight accuracy advantage in a prolonged shooting session due to no radial scratch marks which I think might lead to quicker barrel fouling and the laminated stock is far superior to the tupperware stock as it has less flex.

The advantages are several, not the least of which is aesthetic. Blued and wood has always defined a rifle or a shotgun for me-- the only long gun here that does not have a wood stock is a Bushmaster. :?

Savage is now using their proprietary vibratory media tumbling on the 10ML-II, so the blued finish is upgraded with less tooling marks.

4140 chrome-moly weighs .283 lbs. / cu in. vs. the .309 lb. / cu. in. for 416SS, so there is a weight savings of the barreled action by 8% or so. Not huge to be sure, but not trivial either.

Chuck Hawks feels, "Laminated wood stocks are actually the strongest and most stable of all stocks. Functionally, they are superior to both solid walnut and the synthetics. If laminated from decent woods and well finished they can be quite attractive. They are cheaper than solid walnut stocks because they are made from smaller slices of wood, most of which cost less than good walnut. The grain in the various layers of wood is designed to run in different directions and cancels out any tendency of the stock to warp. When properly glued under pressure and sealed laminated stocks are immensely strong and warp resistant, and virtually impervious to the elements. Laminated stocks are generally regarded as the stiffest and most accurate type of stock." MacMillan may not agree, but one of their completely installed fiberglass hunting stocks retails for $662 applied to your barreled action after you ship it to them.

Beyond the increased accuracy potential of a more rigid 10ML stock, a laminated is far easier to bed properly, and easier to fit a recoil pad of your choice to as well. As far as I'm concerned, it is a logical combination of the best 10ML-II stock and the best 10ML-II hunting barreled action. The cushion you might want with corrosive propellant burning guns is of course not an issue with the Savage with smokeless.

Savage is not enthusiastic about adding SKU numbers for a small run, so I'm doing the next best thing while it is possible to do so-- which is selling a 10ML-II blued with two stocks, the black synthetic AND a laminate including the longer action screws required for the laminated stock.

So, it is being made available for those who want them through the 3rd week of January 2006-- a 10ML-II chrome-moly with two stocks, laminated and synthetic. Cost is $545 + 25 Priority Mail shipping to your door. The best I can do is at least make them available to those that wish them for a short while, so I have. Naturally, I'm buying one for myself. :wink:

Man, I wish I had enough brownie points with the spouse to be allowed to order another gun! :cry:

Mountain Man said:
Man, I wish I had enough brownie with the spouse to be allowed to order another gun! :cry:

That's why you keep your own "stash" just for times like this. :wink: :lol:

Yeah, but she'd notice if a third rifle showed up uninvited. Give it a few years, and my flock of firearms will be large enough that wouldn't likely, but with only two at the momen... :oops:

Back