scope from Hi-Lux Optics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlV

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a firm believer that you get what you pay for in optic, but this 3-9x40mm Leatherwood HPML scope from Hi-Lux Optics has peaked my curiosity.

For $130 it surely sounds too good to be true.

I use Leopolds on all my other rifles.

Any real world experience with it from someone not trying to sell it to me?

Thanks, Carl

I have one but didn't get a chance to try it yet, Super deal on e-bay so I had to buy it. Seems a little on the heavy side and a little bit long, but as far as the quality, light transmission and clarity it is a really good. I would say maybe one small step below the Bushnell 3200. I think SABBOTLOADER has one mounted and did some shooting with one. I am sure he will let you know.

CarlV

Here is what I can tell you... I have one mounted on my White, fact just used it the other day (Testing Montana X in Idaho).

Things I do not like about it.
For a scope it's size it is a bit heavy
The Eye Piece lens housing is bulky
The eye relief is a bit short for most - doesn't bother me though

Things i like
Optics are good
Reticule is good - although i do not use it as designed
Fast Focus - eye piece is great
It is well built - it seems very strong physically

Now another so-so part that worked out great. The first one I got had something loose in and would not hold a group. I called Hi-lux and asked for a RMA and to credit my CC as I was going to return it. Got the number from the nice lady and packed the darn thing up.

The next day a technichian for Hi-Lux called me and asked about the scope and it was doing. I explained that it held a pattern for 4 shots and then it started shooting them all over. I half expected him to question my ability to shoot, but know he said he was very familiar with the internals of the scope and was pretty sure he new exactly what was wrong and it was an easy fix. Then he really got applogetic about he was so disappointed it even got out of the factory that way. Next he said to provide him with an address and he would mail a new out that day. I declined thinking I did not even want to fuss with or ever worry about it again, besides I had a Leupold Ultimate Slam - I was going to put on it - did not tel him that though.

The next day the owner/manager of the US based portion called and expressed how disappointed he was that the scope had failed and that Quality Control even let it out. He talked to me several minutes about the internals of the scope and it rugid construction based on their highly successful Leatherwood ATR scopes for the military. By the time he got done with me - I said go ahead and send me and I would mail this one back - He did - I did and the replacement scope works great. And even if it were to fail - I know there is company that really wants to do right - so I am pretty much unconcerned.

if you have not been there - check the place out

http://www.leatherwoodoptics.com/

I have one on my Encore
I have not shot it yet so no report but I like the reticle better than circles.

I hope to sight in on Sunday or Monday

Hey thanks a bunch for the info.

It's good to hear about a company that is so dedicated to the people that support them.

I have 3 of these scopes. They work great. They are on a MK85,T C Encore and a Disc Elite. My Disc Elite load is 110 grains of Blackhorn 209 with the 195 grain .357 double sabot from Precision Bullets.I can use the 250 yard reticle for 300 yards and the bullet hits about 3 inches low. I shoot at a 18 x 18 inch steel plate painted white.This is a very flat load for a muzzleloader.

This scope sounds like a good one to me and I like the reticle even better then the Leupold Ultraslam and definitely more then the Nikon BDC and of course on this site real people using the product are prevalent and that means a lot to me :D .

Latest posts

Back