Scope rail is finally here.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
I really wanted a picatinny rail on my wolf I feel the picatinny has way more options even though this rail will probably only be used for a scope it's nice to know I can use it on other stuff too. Like a picatinny mounted banana holder. Yeah they make one in case you get hungry and need a tactical snack. For thirty bucks it wasn't worth the gag gift but it exists.

So it started with a scope base that screws into the barrel. This item being CVA specific. Anyone know of any other rails that will fit on a CVA you know they make some for TC are they screwed in the same?
Screenshot_20200727-102157.png
Next was an absolutely essential item. This canted riser rail was able to bolt onto the Weaver rail used by the CVA adapter. This provided me with the option to continue using my iron sights as well as having a scope mount. In addition to that because I need a fairly close eye relief I always need some type of cantilever Mount or cantilever one piece scope mount.
Screenshot_20200727-102224.png
Finally I mount the scope with the standard rings that came with it.
Screenshot_20200727-102305.png
we can take it to the range and see if it's sitting too high then if it is I can just go on to use my iron sights until make adjustments at home.

I really wanted a picatinny rail on my wolf I feel the picatinny has way more options even though this rail will probably only be used for a scope it's nice to know I can use it on other stuff too. Like a picatinny mounted banana holder. Yeah they make one in case you get hungry and need a tactical snack.

Potassium deficiency is serious business. What if yer trigger finger cramps up? You'll be glad you had that banana handy🍌

Only one way to find out if it works. If the scope is too high I will go for the one piece cantilever quick release scope rings. Or low profile two piece with the existing riser.

If that fails well I may just say screw it and just do iron sights. I can still use the rails and toys on other guns.

Given the price of powder I probably will never go over 70 grains. Speculation is fine but we won't know until I am trying to 0 at 50.

I know about those mounts they have been mentioned before. Had I gone that route yes it would be lower but no canti. Honestly if I wanted a standard sight mount I would have just ordered the cva in scope mount model.

Experimenting is part of the fun. if the ml recoil is going to kill the scope is going to kill the scope no matter how I mount it. Besides screw it everything's under warranty.

Honestly if I wanted a standard sight mount I would have just ordered the cva in scope mount model.

That would have been a wise choice if trying to save money. A set of CVA sights is only $26 and a cheap Bushnell can be found for under $100.

As a test I mounted this contraption to an air rifle it actually mounted even higher than on the CVA due to the dove tail to picatinny adapter.

The very first shot was 1 Mil Dot down and 2 left from where I aimed. My head completely off the rifle mind you. A few adjustments and I was dead on the crosshairs at that ridiculous height.

I'm glad I tried it out on my air rifle at least now I have an idea that might work. Just in case so I went ahead and installed the iron sights. So if I do drive all the way down to the range and its a bust with the scope at least I can keep shooting.

Here's a question for you guys when you go down to the range how many rounds do you put through your inline muzzleloader? I only have 20 bullets and Sabots. But being that these things are black powder and need cleaning I just wonder how many rounds do you guys typically put in at the range?

IMG_20200727_172023_3.jpg

That would have been a wise choice if trying to save money. A set of CVA sights is only $26 and a cheap Bushnell can be found for under $100.
And I may end up getting one of those. Just to play with as well. I guess I don't mind spending money on the little mounts and accessories because they can be used for other stuff. As long as they're not crazy expensive I've never seen a need.
I mean I purchased a vortex scope and I played with a Leupold scope and I like my $50 ohhunt scope better. I know that sounds weird but I just liked it better.
Just being who I am I think even if I was doing some type of precision bench shooting I probably wouldn't spend that much money on it. Because it's not really going to make money for me. You guys did offer some solid suggestions. And I thank you for it.

Oh yeah and for those interested the picatinny banana tac rail has dropped in price to 20. Must not have a lot of takers.
Screenshot_20200727-184859.png

Here's a question for you guys when you go down to the range how many rounds do you put through your inline muzzleloader? I only have 20 bullets and Sabots. But being that these things are black powder and need cleaning I just wonder how many rounds do you guys typically put in at the range?
Gab what range r u goin to and when?
Ive shot as few as 5 and as many as 40. If im hangin out all day(4hrs or more) i bring all my relevant cleaning supplies. BTW, youll know its me when you see a 🍌 mounted to a ML.

I'm thinking the ortonville range is probably the closest one to me run by DNR. I've been really lazy man but I'm thinking next week. Or maybe even this week cuz I didn't realize it was Monday. Lol

Ive only been to Ortonville once. Cozy place. Im nearer to Brighton. Im trying to get there Sat or Sun. But theres always bs comes up last minute so... we'll see.

I really think you're going to have problems with that rig. The scope is so high that it will undoubtedly smack you right in the forehead when you pull the trigger because you'll have to hold your head up too high.
As an archer with nearly 50 years experience, I can say that form and anchor points are vital to good marksmanship.
With that setup, you won't be able to maintain a good anchor point on your rifle. But to each his own, just throwing in my 2 cents.

Ive only been to Ortonville once. Cozy place. Im nearer to Brighton. Im trying to get there Sat or Sun. But theres always bs comes up last minute so... we'll see.
Right on man will be good to see you there if I'm out there. You're closer to the dansville range aren't you? One of these days we're going to coordinate.

I really think you're going to have problems with that rig. The scope is so high that it will undoubtedly smack you right in the forehead when you pull the trigger because you'll have to hold your head up too high.
As an archer with nearly 50 years experience, I can say that form and anchor points are vital to good marksmanship.
With that setup, you won't be able to maintain a good anchor point on your rifle. But to each his own, just throwing in my 2 cents.

I appreciate that. I wonder if the scope will bite myself as this will be the first time shooting a ml. I might have to record my first shot for comedic purposes.

With the scope be mounted ridiculously high on the air rifle I simply centered the reticle and scope picture in the middle of the black ring. Sorry I don't know how to explain it better. As long as the reticle was centered I was getting consistent performance.

What I'm more concerned about is the recoil damaging the internals of the scope being perched up that high. The higher you go and the farther out on a limb you are the more pronounced The recoil effect. Kind of like twanging the end of a pencil and holding one end.

A scout scope would give you lots of eye relief and allow you to hug the barrel with the scope so as to not allow a springboard effect.

A scout scope would give you lots of eye relief and allow you to hug the barrel with the scope so as to not allow a springboard effect.
I had to look up scout Scopes to find out what they were I had no idea. This is actually exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for. It's kind of like mounting a scope on a pistol. When I mount a scope on a pistol on hold the pistol at arm's length even with a 50 mm scope it's difficult to see the reticle.

Unfortunately I found that I need that scope pretty darn close to my eyeball. I also have a habit of shooting with both eyes open using a scope and iron sights.

The site picture must be very tiny on a forward mounted scope. I'm curious about this though I'm going to look at some more YouTube videos.

Latest posts

Back