Scopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankmirabal

Reaction score
I was going to buy a scope for my omega. I was wondering if I really need the omega 3-9x40 BDC-250 or would the buckmaster 4x40 fit my needs majority of my shots have been within 130yds.

I was researching the Nikon BDC 250 , but the lowest setting is 3x which in my opinion is too much for 50yds or less , they should have brought the low end down to at least 2x , not that you couldn't use it , too much mag. for me .

My choice would be a 1.5-5x. I like the field of view with scopes of this magnification.

One that I have on my Omega is the Simmons pro-diamond 1.5-5 shotgun scope. It is very sharp and I also like the ability to set it on 1.5 when just walking as quick shots are a lot easier when the scope is almost the same as your normal vision. I can get on target quickly with both eyes open.

frankmirabal

I have 3x9's on all but one of ML's - I do like the 3x9 option, BUT there is really a nice 2x7x40 scope out there. I have on one of my Remingtons. It is a super scope, but a scope you may have never heard because Swift is not doing the advertising they should.

The scope is a Swift Preimer 2x7x40 205-658N
- fast focus eyepiece and great lenses... Web Site says $154.?? but the price is different than that when you apply for th unpublished price...

http://www.eabco.com/Swift01.htm

http://www.eabco.com/Swift658.html

majority of my shots have been within 130yds.

So are MOST hunters shots on whitetails. As far as whether or not a good 3-9 scope is too much scope?..I vote NO. I've never really seen the time where 3X was too much scope for whitetail hunting...never. And certainly the 9X comes in handy for time at the range.

I wish Leopold would offer a muzzleloading scope in 2X-7X with bullet compensating dots for 2 pellets (or 100grs.777) and a 3 pellet pellet charge with a 40MM bell.

Choc-dog

If you are interested in a Leupold 2-7X, I have one for sale in the buy/sell section.

Of all the scopes I own, I like my Nikon Pro Sport 2-7x32mm. It just seems like the perfect muzzleloader scope. It does not cost a fortune. Has a great guarantee. 75 yrd parallex free, excellent light gathering ability, outstanding clarity, and so far has just been bullet proof.

I have it on a White Rifle, shooting large conicals, and even the recoil can't shake it. I do have Warne QD rings on the rifle and so far it has always returned to true zero when put back on. For the money I just can't see a better scope.

When I stalk the woods I set it on 2X and I can actually see the front sight in it. When I get to stand, I set the power for the situtation I am hunting. I seem to favor 5X for some reason.

As for the BDC I had them on two center fire rifle scopes I have. The joke to me is, while I paid extra at the time to get the BDC I have never used them. I just taught myself the proper hold over etc. I guess I never trusted them. I like a single cross hair in the window to concentrate on.

to me the nikon prostaff is the best compromise between price and scope quality. i have two of them, and there will be more on the way. on the 4x and 2-7x models, they have a full 4 inches of eye relief. they are very bright and have great clarity. the parallax on the 4x is only 50 yds, but that has worked out fine for me on rifles that i use for shots under 100 yds. prices are $100-125. there is also a 3-9x40 model. i dont think its really necessary for a muzzleloader scope to have that much power, but it does have a 100 yd parallax. i havent tried one yet, though, cause eye relief drops to 3.5 inches.

Latest posts

Back