Shooting- A learned skill

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Shooting, whether it be with a rifle,shotgun or pistol is a learned skill. It only takes a few elements to make this learning to be possible and efficient. One an accurate rifle or pistol or a shotgun that fits.Two decent ammunition. Three a source of good instruction ,whether it be verbal,written, or another format. Fourth a person motivated enough with the right attitude. Thats it. It does not take a great deal of talent or some sort of natural born skill. Shooting is a learned skill that anyone with normal hand eye coordination and average intelligence can develop to a very high level by anyone willing and able to combine the previously mentioned elements. It is just a matter of " Want To".

I agree with rifleman 100%. Before I was only confident shooting to about 250 yards but now after spending the day with Rifleman I wouldnt hesitate to take a 600 yard shot and a 150 yard offhand shot at a deer. It amazing what a few hours with someone who knows what they are doing can teach you. He even tought me a few unconventional shooting positions that I never thought of that might come in handy in three weeks when I am after that trophy elk and mule deer. With just a little practice and a few small changes to my shooting technique Rifleman had me shooting under 5 inch groups at 500 yards with my 300 WBY and 2 inch groups at 200 yards with my HB. With a little practice, good equipment and some paticence, and a good helping hand anyone can learn to shoot.. Thank you again Dwight.

Rifleman, Since it's what you do, when is you next training session? I'd like to be the first to sign up!

Thanks Rifleman, I'm always interested in learning. Is there any books you could recommend before meeting for a lesson?

You might look at your Guidebook for Marines! C'mon tick you don't need lessons,are you sure you wanna endure grass week all over again? :shock:

Grassweek was a pain in the rear but it did help. I'm not doing too bad but there's always room for improvement. Might be my age as I'm getting up there in years. I did go to the range this last Wednesday and I must say I can't complain about my groups. Seems my savage doesn't like cleaning between shots though.

Rifleman I agree completly.I knew a kid from NY City that never had a rifle in his hands,wound up as a sniper in Nam.Best damn shot I ever saw.I spotted for him once at Quantico.Under 6" groups at 700 yds.

Every Marine is a rifleman

Charlie

For many years I taughtboth Camp Perry and then later Practical pistol course or police combat shooting and found that one of the biggest factors was shot anticipation. In the days when revolvers were the standard for police we would load 2 or 3 bullets in a revolver and have the student SQUEEZE off all 6 cylinders and they were amazed at the flinch from anticipation. In the combat situation we taught that if the finger had sights you would seldom be off unless you had very bad hand to eye coordination. My youngest son who followed into Law enforcement was a natural with guns because he was raised with guns around and so there was little fear, he,s a good pistol shot and does well with a shotgun
and now I'm trying to convert him to MLs. They do sell snap caps ( Brass fake primers) which would cure a flinch with some one else priming your ML. Just a suggest.

flaguy said:
For many years I taughtboth Camp Perry and then later Practical pistol course or police combat shooting and found that one of the biggest factors was shot anticipation. In the days when revolvers were the standard for police we would load 2 or 3 bullets in a revolver and have the student SQUEEZE off all 6 cylinders and they were amazed at the flinch from anticipation. In the combat situation we taught that if the finger had sights you would seldom be off unless you had very bad hand to eye coordination. My youngest son who followed into Law enforcement was a natural with guns because he was raised with guns around and so there was little fear, he,s a good pistol shot and does well with a shotgun
and now I'm trying to convert him to MLs. They do sell snap caps ( Brass fake primers) which would cure a flinch with some one else priming your ML. Just a suggest.

I find myself antisipating the shot or closing my eyes at the shot.I need help with this and I'm told if I keep praticing this way it will only get worse.
A friend suggested I start with a BB gun with a scope and train myself to not flinch and keep my eyes open and then move progressivly to larger calibers.
Any thoughts on this?

You can practice dry firing with snap caps or you can goto the range with a buddy and have them either load or unload the gun for you...( following safe gun handling practices... check with your range master ) pick your target and take the shot. Not knowing if the gun is loaded or not will really bring out the bad habbits you need to work on and help you work through the issue.

A .22 LR is a great platform too.

Doohan said:
You can practice dry firing with snap caps or you can goto the range with a buddy and have them either load or unload the gun for you...( following safe gun handling practices... check with your range master ) pick your target and take the shot. Not knowing if the gun is loaded or not will really bring out the bad habbits you need to work on and help you work through the issue.

A .22 LR is a great platform too.

Thanks Doohan,I will try all of this.

saxman1 said:
I find myself antisipating the shot or closing my eyes at the shot.I need help with this and I'm told if I keep praticing this way it will only get worse.
A friend suggested I start with a BB gun with a scope and train myself to not flinch and keep my eyes open and then move progressivly to larger calibers.
Any thoughts on this?

Do you know why you are doing this? Is it the noise or the recoil?? Is the trigger to heavy or too long a pull for a clean break? I think you would need to try and determine why and then address any issues one at a time.

I have a friend that misses quite a bit by anticipating the shot (ie shoot a deer in the neck when he aims for the shoulder) - but his problem seems to be his trigger is heavy and not very clean..

I know I anticipate recoil at times (especially when shooting off a bench) - I just ordered a shooting shoulder pad to try and eliminate it during the summer - too hot to wear a thick coat in this heat.. I also had my trigger adjusted and smoothed and I am a much better shot. Trigger went from +8 lbs to around 3.75 lbs - HUGE difference

the other thing is I know I dont shoot enough and like anything else, practice helps..

just my thoughts

Brian

Dry firing helps a LOT. Get to know how the trigger feels and feel for the "click" everytime you pull. When you're shooting be thinking about the "click" and not the "bang". If you don't do this (or something similar) you're going to be thinking about the "bang" and you're going to be prone to some kind of a flinch. Try it and see if it works.

:lol: I dry fire alot an it's pretty cheap!!! If you get a bad let-of you can lie about it. No holes in the target!! :lol:

thatguy said:
saxman1 said:
Any thoughts on this?

Do you know why you are doing this? Is it the noise or the recoil?? Is the trigger to heavy or too long a pull for a clean break? I think you would need to try and determine why and then address any issues one at a time.

I have a friend that misses quite a bit by anticipating the shot (ie shoot a deer in the neck when he aims for the shoulder) - but his problem seems to be his trigger is heavy and not very clean..

I know I anticipate recoil at times (especially when shooting off a bench) - I just ordered a shooting shoulder pad to try and eliminate it during the summer - too hot to wear a thick coat in this heat.. I also had my trigger adjusted and smoothed and I am a much better shot. Trigger went from +8 lbs to around 3.75 lbs - HUGE difference

the other thing is I know I dont shoot enough and like anything else, practice helps..

just my thoughts

Brian

I think most of it is the triggers being to heavy.
I'm not afraid or all that bothered by recoil.
I was nailed by a scope a few times,I don't like that

I have allot of trouble keeping my body still as far as hart beat and breathing.
At this point I am inhailing (3 count) holding (3 count) exhailing (3 count) fire.I am 6'8" and I feel the LOP on my guns is not long enough although I have not been measured.
I have lots of questions and may need to seek an instructor.

I have a US Army sniper manual from the 80's that has been a help

Practicing with a very accurate .22 rimfire is a great, recoil free, tool. I stress very accurate as your mistakes are immediately revealed and can't be blamed on old powder, loose sabots, etc.

IMHO, there is a certain "Zen" that needs to be developed shooting large caliber rifles, it starts with the confidence that you can shoot as well as the rifle. Once you develop that, you stop anticipating recoil and take control of the shot.

Jim

Latest posts

Back