Shooting bore diameter bullets?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I was at cabelas the other night and saw a box of 50cal Hornady bullets sitting on the shelf and thought to myself whats the issue with shooting a bore diameter bullet from an inline? Is it because it needs the cup of a sabot to build pressure? How about those maxi hunters in an inline?

I only shoot conicals/bore diameter bullets out of mine! No issues whatsoever.

The issue is your land size and the actual size of the 50cal 300gr FTX or whichever 50 you saw. You wont get a .501 bullet down that bore unless you are within about .0003 or so of land size.

Example...my 45 is about .4507 or .4508....A .451 will load but a .4515 is gunna need a hammer.

Only way to get around this is a adjustable sizing die and that is assuming the bullets are too tight for your bore. If they are too loose you are SOL. You have to use a knurling tool to increase the size.

You can use a MMP sub base or one of the wads. Wool, veggie or poly. Even a sabot with all the petals trimmed off can work. All you are doing is helping the powder build up enough pressure as fast as possible.

Your thinking is correct on the cup base - these bases are needed to seal the bore as they are trying to allow the plastic to fill with all the various bore diameter specs.. Probably most manufacturers bores specs are +0.002” /-0 as it cost $$ to hold tight tolerances. (Ex. 0.500-0.502”).
Unless your lucky and your bullet body fits the bore perfectly- the bullet you bought will either be too big or too small. If too small, it will not obturate to seal when fired.
I hope this helps & is understandable to you?
Good luck.

Last edited:
Just curious if and how it would work. When I looked up I thought wait a minute those are probably for 500 S&W type stuff but why are they with the ML stuff.

When you consider 500S&W bullets, you have to consider......How thick is the jacket?....The thicker it gets the harder it is to get to obturate into the rifling. Bullets like the 300gr 50cal FTX have thicker jackets than bullets like the Speer 325gr JHP made for 50A&E.

Just curious if and how it would work. When I looked up I thought wait a minute those are probably for 500 S&W type stuff but why are they with the ML stuff.
I looked all over my local Cabela's searching for Hornady FTX bullets for my 500 Smith and found them in the muzzleloader section. For some reason the box said 50 cal instead of .500 diameter so it's easy to see how they got misplaced by the people that stock the shelves. The average person that works there probably doesn't know squat about guns amd ammo.

Back