Shooting CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 27” barrel Acura nitride with thumbhole stock. 50 cal- I shoot almost exclusive Black Horn 209 weighed charges of 70 or 75 grains. Bullets range from 240 gr -300 (.44 & .45) Hornady XTP. I am doing some testing with Speer Deep Curl and Gold Dot . Any helpful advice for me and my CVA Acura ? I love the smell of smoke !

Would you like this moved to the inline section? I does not appear to be about casting and you might get more answers in the inline section.

The most accurate load for me in 3 different acuras,has been 70 grains by weight and 250 fury star tips,, I' shoot the star tips in my 45 smokeless I figured I would try them in 50 cal with a harvester Black Sabot ,,has become my go to load all 3 50 cal acuras ,, the only 275 grain bullet I've had any success with in the 28 twist has been the 275 grain Pittman accumax but now I'm referring to shooting quarter inch and less three shot groups,I've yet to find a 300 grain bullet that groups consistently a half inch or less in my 28 twist CVa I know others have found it, I know the custom bullets cost a lot of money , but I like shooting a glob hole,

The most accurate load for me in 3 different acuras,has been 70 grains by weight and 250 fury star tips,, I' shoot the star tips in my 45 smokeless I figured I would try them in 50 cal with a harvester Black Sabot ,,has become my go to load all 3 50 cal acuras ,, the only 275 grain bullet I've had any success with in the 28 twist has been the 275 grain Pittman accumax but now I'm referring to shooting quarter inch and less three shot groups,I've yet to find a 300 grain bullet that groups consistently a half inch or less in my 28 twist CVa I know others have found it, I know the custom bullets cost a lot of money , but I like shooting a glob hole,
Thanks for the reply, Your 70 grains by weight powder - are you using BlackHorn ? I haven’t Tried the Fury’s - if it’s a go to for 3 Acura’s you have ‍♂️ Sounds worth a try. Thanks again

Yes I'm sorry 70 grains by weight of blackhorn I should have said so, I think I've shot every bullet available except Parker,,I'm sure they're great, I've shot all the over-the-counter commercial bullets even the junk ones ,cuttingedge has a little hundred and sixty-five grain at least I think that's what it is, 45 Cal bullet I've also had very good accuracy with , if someone's looking for a light recoil bullet and shots are within a hundred fifty yards I highly recommend it I've shot several does with it it is absolutely devastating.

I have a 27” barrel Acura nitride with thumbhole stock. 50 cal- I shoot almost exclusive Black Horn 209 weighed charges of 70 or 75 grains. Bullets range from 240 gr -300 (.44 & .45) Hornady XTP. I am doing some testing with Speer Deep Curl and Gold Dot . Any helpful advice for me and my CVA Acura ? I love the smell of smoke !

I find that using the Barnes bullet jag enables the bullet to be seated the same way each time and you may want to look at getting one, see pic.

tM1xPgg.jpg

Back