Shots per can

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I did my math correct:

1 gr equals .00229 ounces
100gr equals 0.229 ounces
1 pound equals 16 ounces
16/.229 equals approval 70 shots per pound
10oz/.229 equals approx 44 shots for BH 209

See below, based on weight of BH209 you will get 56 to 62 shots per 10oz can.

Last edited:
so, about 44 100g loads out of a 10oz jug....... over here in Canada that would be $2.20 a shot plus a bullet/sabot and primer, now were closer to $4.00 a shot.... lol, true story

Funny...I was just thinking about this this morning....Even though inline muzzleloader season is over for this year, I am already thinking about next year. Part of me wants to switch from pellets to BH209 for next year...and another part of me is inclined to stick with pellets because of how easy they are to remove at the end of a hunt in which no shot is fired. If the pellets are clean, I use them the next day, if they look iffy, I save them for range use later. How long can you leave a charge of BH209 in the barrel without firing and assuming not exposed to moisture? MD's ML season is a week...safe to load on day 1 and leave loaded till a shot is fired or the week ends, whichever comes first?

VA's "early muzzleloader" season is 2 weeks. I load the 2 guns I plan on using for the season the day of and they will still fire at the end of the season if not previously fired at a deer. I get the same results whether it's 209, Pyrodex or 777. Other members here have gone much, much longer.

Edit: The guns are loaded in clean barrels that have been alcohol wiped. Breach plug is always looked through to ensure its clear.

Last edited:
VA's "early muzzleloader" season is 2 weeks. I load the 2 guns I plan on using for the season the day of and they will still fire at the end of the season if not previously fired at a deer. I get the same results whether it's 209, Pyrodex or 777. Other members here have gone much, much longer.
So the whole corrosive thing is only after it's been fired?

Since I started using BH 209 my Paramount & Accura V2 stay fully loaded & ready to fire all season long. Thats from 3rd wk in Oct to 3rd wk in Jan. No issues at all. My season just ended yesterday, so both will now get shot & very thoroughly cleaned. When I shot only pyrodex pellets & in the ML's I only use T7, I've never ever left them loaded more than a day or two.

If I did my math correct:

1 gr equals .00229 ounces
100gr equals 0.229 ounces
1 pound equals 16 ounces
16/.229 equals approval 70 shots per pound
10oz/.229 equals approx 44 shots for BH 209

The load limit, by weight, in most over the counter guns, is 84 grains by weight. Most people are shooting in the 63 to 77 grains by weight area. And as HC has alluded to, each powder lot will have it's own weight vs volume ratio. Instead of trying to determine the value in shooting BH209 in dollars and cents per shot, try looking at the value of the powder in terms of real benefits it offers in the field and at the range. The cost of everything has risen including the cost of "fresh" pyro and t7 products. They offer more shots per container simply because they're sold by the pound, but what about the benefits that BH209 offers that those two powders do not. The only place any of my guns sees T7 products is at the range and they are then cleaned well within an hour. This immediate cleaning is not an option in the woods so BH209 gets the not there. Sometimes the value of a product goes far beyond a calculator and a conversion table.

I just opened lot #40 of BH209 and the weight (density) has once again increased resulting in FEWER shots per 10oz container if only measured by weight. Lot 40 100grains by volume weighs 80 grains by weight. When I first started using BH the 100 gr volume to weight was 70 -72 gr by weight. Still using the same volume measure and scale. However, the higher the lot number, the more robust the powder seems to be. I have reduced my loads in both Knight rifles from 110 gr to 105 gr and now to 100 grains. So, if one is loading only by volume, shots per jug would be relatively unchanged. (I think??)

Bill

So I’m just starting out using BH209 and I had planned on using 70g by weight which I thought equaled 100g by volume. Looks like I have some work to do.

I just opened lot #40 of BH209 and the weight (density) has once again increased resulting in FEWER shots per 10oz container if only measured by weight. Lot 40 100grains by volume weighs 80 grains by weight. When I first started using BH the 100 gr volume to weight was 70 -72 gr by weight. Still using the same volume measure and scale. However, the higher the lot number, the more robust the powder seems to be. I have reduced my loads in both Knight rifles from 110 gr to 105 gr and now to 100 grains. So, if one is loading only by volume, shots per jug would be relatively unchanged. (I think??)

Bill

Good stuff, I too was just wondering how many shots (roughly) were in a 10oz jug of BH 209. For me it wasn’t about cost per shot but solely the number of loads I can expect out of a jug so I know when I need to start looking for another jug.

I just opened lot #40 of BH209 and the weight (density) has once again..................... However, the higher the lot number, the more robust the powder seems to be............
Bill
You're actually the first person I've known of to mention it like that. Most, not all, of the shooters using the latest from Hodgdon claim they reduced the power for a lack of proper terminology.

Back