Should I wait or Not?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Deer Man

Reaction score
I'm trying to get everything ready so I can use my new savage next week on a Muzzleloader hunt in NJ. Problem is they don't allow smokeless.

Should I just bring my knight and wait until next year to use the savage in NY or should I use the Savage with 777?
I really want to use the savage, but I NEVER intended to put anything but smokeless down the barrel.

Opinions please..

Thanks!

That what I was thinking. I guess the Savage can wait until next year Unless I head down south this winter for some hog hunting.

I think that it is hard to clean every little nook and cranny of the ML-2. I'd consider not using anything corrosive in it. But if you have anything that isn't corrosive, I'd consider using the Sav.

I have a 45 cal disc extreme. SS barrel win synth stock. It's a bit finicky but I got it shooting 200gr XTP's pretty good with fishtank gravel....I mean 2fg APP.

FrontStuffer1 said:
I have a 45 cal disc extreme. SS barrel win synth stock. It's a bit finicky but I got it shooting 200gr XTP's pretty good with fishtank gravel....I mean 2fg APP.

:lol: :lol:

Grouse, it shoots best with 195 barnes and 2 pyrodex pellets, but I hate cleaning the pyrodex. I actually shot the AAP and left a bullet in for nearly 2 weeks and no rust.

frontstuffer,I hunt N.J. and I think you'll find quite a few guy's from ''jersey'' shoot the Savage with smokeless.State want's all the deer dead,they really don't care how we do it.That came from a C.O. friend of mine.I hunt zone 12,what about you?

Just load it with smokeless they'll never know the difference. Whats a gw gonna do make you unload so he can check it. :wink:

snuffy said:
Just load it with smokeless they'll never know the difference. Whats a gw gonna do make you unload so he can check it. :wink:

That's what I'm talkin about. :wink:

Guys, I was hunting upstate NY a few years ago with a buddy of mine and we had doe tags for the zone next to ours. The zone is about a mile away and the doe tags were a sure thing in that zone. The zone we were in is a harder draw and a lot of people just apply for the easy draw zone saying "The deer can't read the tag and the odds of seeing a GW are slim".

So after passing up a doe we walked out of the woods and there was a GW driving the peremiter of my property.

I would love to shoot the smokeless, but I don't know if the risk is worth it. What if a GW asks to see the loads I'm carrying? Would I carry some pryodex loads in one pocket just to show him? I know its a long shot, but I don't want to get into a hassle with the GW's over here.

I hunt zones 2&3 and the GW's are hard asses in these zones. If I was a Jersey resident I would be more apt to try it, but being a New Yorker I think I would be treated a little harsher.

If any of you Jersey guys are interested in swapping a hunt I have access to some great private properties in NY with excellent hunting for turkey, deer, geese, and ducks. I would love to get a good deer hunt on private land in NJ.

Also, if any of you guys know of any hunting clubs with membership opportunities I would be interested as well.

Happy New Year!

Johnny

[quote="
What if a GW asks to see the loads I'm carrying? Would I carry some pryodex loads in one pocket just to show him?
Johnny[/quote]
Yep, thats what I would do. :wink:

i wouldnt worry about it either and yes i would carry me some pellets just in case they asked to see what im using. if he makes you unload your gun then hes a special breed. smokeless is not allowed in florida but they dont even check our guns here

Here in my state the most recent law states "Powder is limited to manufacturers' specifications."

HOWEVER the current, condensed handout available to sportsman titled "Hunting And Trapping Abstract" states "Powder limited to black powder or approved substitutes."

I am certain most local hunters have no idea that according to the law, smokeless is permitted, and would argue the point, perhaps vehemently with you.

I am equally certain that the wardens here (termed "Environmental Police", SHEESH! :? ) would, if they knew of one's use of smokeless propellant while hunting, take you to task, write you up for infraction and perhaps confiscate your arm.
It would then be up to you to exonerate yourself based upon the actual law involved vs. the outdated regulation stated within the abstract.......... UGH! :x

dond said:
frontstuffer,I hunt N.J. and I think you'll find quite a few guy's from ''jersey'' shoot the Savage with smokeless.State want's all the deer dead,they really don't care how we do it.That came from a C.O. friend of mine.I hunt zone 12,what about you?
I dont know, :? if that were true, why would they have gone out of their way to split hairs and prohibit smokeless in MLs in the 1st place, if they really didnt care and just wanted all the deer dead. Heck if that were the case they'd allow centerfires! I always thought the NY DEC was pretty lackadazical about enforcing those little petty regulations until they stopped me at a check point, tore my truck apart to see if I was carrying a gun or ammo while bowhunting, then pulled my bow out of its case and checked my broadheads to see if they were indeed 7/8 of an inch!

I was thinking the same thing about using 777 or just going "renegade style", using smokeless in my 10ml in NJ but what if they ask you to clear the gun and no smoke comes out?

I think I'd be better off just bowhunting there. (If I didnt own a slug gun or a conventional ML)

Just boils down to where you live and if you would feel comfortable using smokless when its not allowed. Me personally i try to follow most rules but this is just one i would not feel guilty about not following. Also where i hunt you rarely see a GW when you do they just want to see the license. but i also realize thier could be that one that goes by the book on all issues.

Im w/ ya funman but heres the senario I imagine when I ponder using smokeless in NJ....""down from NooYawk to do a little hut'n of our superior, antla restricted deer, are youz.... any lug? wow, dats a big one.....just like to do a little check of yaw equipment....whatch you uzin?... Savage Huh?... aint dat one a doze smogeless dings?.... ya aint usin smogeless aaa ya? ...well lets just pop a cap on dis ding and see.... " :lol:

All I can say is,

You should follow the laws,

You get caught with smokeless in the pretty rifle , You not going to have for long.

You'll also may get a big fine and lose you vehicle at the same time.

As Hunter Safety Instructor,
We have been asked many of time in class about this.

The word from NYS DEC is if it looks anything like a Savage in-line,
it will checked and if found to loaded with smokeless,, You nailed !!!!!!

good points may have to rethink my approach on this just wish they would change the laws because i really want to get a savage, and i wouldnt buy one just to put pyrodex or triple seven in it. Guess ill go with my original plan and buy a knight extreme.

Back