Sizing Packs of bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire Hawk

Reaction score
Good morning! Been a long time hiatus from ML shooting for me while I was distracted by Archery. But I am back and looking forward to shooting my guns and my new for Christmas gun. I have a question about the sizing packs of bullets. No Excuses, Thor, and others offer a sizing pack of bullets to determine which size is best for my particular rifle. I suspect many of you have used them before.

My question is this: If I order a sizing pack from No Excuses, and the .503 fits best, is it safe to assume that the .503 would fit best in the Thor, or another mfg bullet? Or does one need to order the specific pack from each mfg?

Also, I have been shooting my Knight Wolverine 209 extreme for many many moons. It is a very accurate and fun gun to shoot. But with kids wanting to come ML deer hunting with me this next year, I thought I should pick up a new rifle. I chose a CVA Accura MR-X 50 caliber. From your experience, do CVA Accura barrels (Bergara) tend to run tight, loose etc.? Will it shoot sabots well without having to pound them into the barrel, or do you have to shoot Power belts etc.?

Thank you for the help!

FH

I can tell you that I went through the sizing process with the Thor's (their sizing pack) for my Optima and it ended up taking the .503 bullet. Certainly not considered a tight bore. The 300 grn tipped Thor pushed with 100 grns BH is a tack driver with the Optima.

Everything ive seen implies the CVA 50cal barrels are about average size. Not too tight or too loose. Sabots that commonly fit well are in the .503-.504 range when loaded with a bullet so the lands should be pretty close to .501.

There is no comparison between Thor's sizing pack and that of No Excuses. Thors are solid copper and give very little when sizing and No Excuses are pure lead and because of the softness of lead has a lot of "give" to the bullet. Use the sizing pack sold by the company for the bullets you are going to use. That will ensure you have the correct sized bullet for your particular gun

There is no comparison between Thor's sizing pack and that of No Excuses. Thors are solid copper and give very little when sizing and No Excuses are pure lead and because of the softness of lead has a lot of "give" to the bullet. Use the sizing pack sold by the company for the bullets you are going to use. That will ensure you have the correct sized bullet for your particular gun
Thank you Dave! I will be reaching out to you sometime soon to get some sizing bullets and then place an order. Been a minute since I came to your home in Roy. Haven't been to your newer place.

FH

When I sized my CVA Accura with the .420 No Excuses Sample Pack the .503 size was a good fit. However, after sizing with the Thor Sizing Pack the .501 was the best choice.

That's because there is no "give" in a copper clad bullet and there is much more with a lead bullet. You can force a lead bullet sized at .509 into a .503 bore with a short stick and enough determination but that will never happen with a copper clad bullet

Thor is not clad, its solid copper. A dead soft lead bullet with a thin copper electro plating would be far easier to start. Hornady FPB would be a perfect example of that and its was not even dead soft lead.

I stand corrected. Solid copper bullets are hard to load if they are incorrectly sized to your bore.

I’ve had great success with the No Excuse Bullets in .50 cal .503 sized. Easy to load but snug in the barrel. Recently ordered the .54 cal bullet and it fit pretty loose. Ok for range use but I’d be very concerned hunting with that setup. The solution was a couple wraps of Teflon plummets tape. Sort of like a paper patch bullet. It was recommended dental floss would work as well. I shoot a .54 Renegade.

Back