SMI Feedback Please + and - Wanted

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkstalkr

Reaction score
Ok guys,

Just heard a horror story on another forum about the SMI barrel being really crappy. Now I really want to get one for my wife and have been asking questions , but need some more feedback (positive and negative)before I commit.

He complained about the barrel not fitting well to the reciever and the breech plug being very loose. He had a barrel made for his H&R.

I for one have never heard anything but praise for their work!

I do not have one, so I can't give firsthand results.

edge.

Elkstalkr, I'm about to purchase an SMI barrel, and I must say that I have put in quite a bit of time researching SMI's Barrels. I have also found nothing but positive remarks about SMI. Ron Name has answered my e-mails quickly and professionally as well.

I would suggest you ask for some proof of the poor report you read.
I'd ask for a picture of the poor fit.
Also,Keep in mind that H&R / NEF barrels are not interchangeable between frames. Each barrel is individually headspaced to the receiver.
I'd ask if this individual has placed the barrel on a different receiver, or possibly bought the barrel second hand.

If you wouldn't mind, please PM me a link to this thread. I'd like to read it, and possibly do a search on the author's previous posts.

Take Care,
Ridge

Spelling edit

Ridgeviewer said:
Elkstalkr, I'm about to purchase an SMI barrel, and I must say that I have put in quite a bit of time researching SMI's Barrels. I have also found nothing but positive remarks about SMI. Ron Name has answered my e-mails quickly and professionally as well.

I would suggest you ask for some proof of the poor report you read.
I'd ask for a picture of the poor fit.
Also,Keep in mind that H&R / NEF barrels are not interchangeable between frames. Each barrel is individually head spaced to the receiver.
I'd ask if this individual has placed the barrel on a different receiver, or possibly bought the barrel second hand.

If you wouldn't mind, please PM me a link to this thread. I'd like to read it, and possibly do a search on the author's previous posts.

Take Care,
Ridge

Agreed..... and if there is an issue, Ron will fix it!

I have heard nothing but positive feedback on SMI on this board as well as another board I frequent, I am about ready to send a Ruger #1 to them for a conversion.

Although I have not received my barrel, I have one ordered for an Encore Pro Hunter. In my e-mail communications with Ron(eventhough he's on vacation) and talking to Dan on the phone a couple of times, they have been very professional and knowledgeable in answering my questions.

What sold me on getting one of their barrels? Watching a fellow hunter in this years muzzleloading season harvest a mature doe at approximately 250 yards with one! He was shooting Parker bullets and the performance was about like using a 300 Winchester or 7mm Remington magnum. The quality and fit of this barrel was excellent.

Rest assured I will give my barrel a workout and post range reports here after I receive it. One thing about it if I have any problems, Ron will hear from me first and have a chance to remedy them. Oh yeah, don't believe everything you read in these forums. The Internet is a great source of information and mis-information. Just go to some of the handloading forums and look at some of the loads people recommend. I wouldn't want to try some of them in my guns.

Bill

I know Ron and Joe and have seen and fired several of their rifles.
They make an excellent product and prices are very fair for what they provide. Their integrity is without question and you can buy with confidence that they stand behind their products.

Ok guys here the scoop.

Ron did do the guy right. He gave him a full refund since he was not satisfied.

I do not have link to the post, as he sent me a PM on Graybeards Forum after I posted about possibly getting an SMI barrel.

I have no doubt that his complaints are probably sincere and real and don't need pictures. That being said, I also realize that you can not possibly make everybody happy AND people make mistakes. Obviously SMI guys have good customer service, as they gave him a refund.

I just wanted some more feedback before I totally committed. I was already 95% sure I was going to do it, but getting some more advice never hurts.

Elkstlkr,
First off, I certainly do not want to challenge you or the person that complained to you - that's not my style.
I just find it difficult to believe that anything came out of the shop that was not perfect. I suspect Ron's commitment to customers being happy took priority over the actual issue of SMI quality "problems". Either way, the point you make is 100% true - they stand behind their product and do the right things for the right reasons. Even if the guy didn't like the SMI product, even he would have to admit that they stand behind what they do.
The other SMI rifles that I have seen are identical to my own - perfectly executed and flawless (except for that small dent on my stock from my truck door - oops, that certainly isn't SMI's fault).

bigmedicine said:
Elkstlkr,
First off, I certainly do not want to challenge you or the person that complained to you - that's not my style.
I just find it difficult to believe that anything came out of the shop that was not perfect. I suspect Ron's commitment to customers being happy took priority over the actual issue of SMI quality "problems". Either way, the point you make is 100% true - they stand behind their product and do the right things for the right reasons. Even if the guy didn't like the SMI product, even he would have to admit that they stand behind what they do.
The other SMI rifles that I have seen are identical to my own - perfectly executed and flawless (except for that small dent on my stock from my truck door - oops, that certainly isn't SMI's fault).

My NEF/SMI and Savage/SMI conversion are as described.... Look great and shoot great...

You know the internet is a tough place to do business, but only for the honest. The dishonest just change ID's and move on to fresh fish. The honest do their best, but anyone can say anything with no reprisal. Just something to keep in mind.

Well all I am hearing is positive from this board. Figured I would get some complaint, even a minor one.

I can say that PM only negative thing I have heard about SMI so far. Like I said you can't please everybody, I know that, and am pretty committed at this point to getting an SMI barrel.

I am very impressed with the quality of my SMI/NEF 50 cal MLer. I've never lost a deer to it. Last year I killed a very nice buck @ 252 yds, 70g AA-2015/300SST. The quality is outstanding. I double loaded this load this year(yes-both bullet and powder) and the rifle withstood the load. I didn't fare as well but the SMI saved me from myself. Ron even insisted that I send the barrel back for him to inspect - which I will do shortly, Ron. Buy another? in a second!

SW,

Gotta mark your rods!! I made the same accident earlier this year with my savage. Fortunately my rod was marked and little red flags flew up instantly.

Elkstalkr, the red flags are a great idea. I know many that scribe a line on their ram rod,,, Nothing better than a red tape warning.

Better yet, put a lightstick on the ramrod, shoot it and call it a tracer!

elkstalkr said:
SW,

Gotta mark your rods!! I made the same accident earlier this year with my savage. Fortunately my rod was marked and little red flags flew up instantly.
My son had my nice SMI ramrod with him deer hunting(with a 10-ML2). I used a range rod - obviously unmarked. I was interupted during the loading sequence. Things add up. Thanks - my rods are marked, except this time.

well i am going on year 3 with my s.m.i. converted ruger no. 1
what can i say, its all i have shot since i got it back from ron and his crew.
they do the best work and they make a superior product. more than that they will work with you to get you what you want and make sure you are a satisfied customer. and you get all of this at a very resonable price.
thanks ron name and s.m.i.
sb- terry krebs
columbus, ohio
PB041195.jpg

Back