Stumbled onto a T/C Renegade .56 SB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbythehunter

Reaction score
Being more active on the forum had me regretting that a sold my T/C .56 smoothbore a few years back. It was my first muzzleloader and I sold it because i had recently bought a left handed T/C renegade rifled .50 cal so I figured i didn't need it anymore.

Hearing about the postal shoots and round balls got me wishing it had never let it go (it shot great). So I started looking for one a couple of weeks ago. I saw a really nice one on one of the internet sites for $399 this past week but didn't really want to pay that much.

Turn back the clock about a month or two:

I'd been speaking to a friend in Massachusetts about selling or trading him a H&R Pardner pump 12 gauge which I won in a USSA firearms raffle. I was going to trade him for a few cases of hard cider. He heard me talking to someone about a Thompson Center muzzleloader and he says "i think i have one of those". Really" "Yes". What is it. "I think it's a 56 caliber SB" . Surprising because he's not a hunter but not really surprising as it's my understanding that these guns were made specifically for Massachusetts hunters when the black powder/muzzleloader regulations allowed for smooth bore only.

Well he brought it in yesterday and although not as nice as the one I sold, it's in very good condition. So we will make the deal. Straight up trade, I pay shipping and FFL transfer fee on my end.

I'd post a photo, but I'm sure you folks have all seen them before. Happy New Year to me. It's a righty obviously, not sure they made lefties buit i'll keep my eyes open ! Never really recall having problems shooting my original one which was a righty as well. I'll wear shooting glasses.

Good score Bobby, I’m surprised you need an FFL transfer with a muzzleloader.

Good score Bobby, I’m surprised you need an FFL transfer with a muzzleloader.
Matt and Mike, the FFL transaction is for the other end of deal. traded a shotgun for the muzzleloader. Still no need for FFL in Mass for muzzleloaders. give them some time they'll include them soon enough i imagine. here are the twinsthe twins.jpg the rifled barrel lefty has a wood ramrod and the SB has a fiberglass or ccompsite rod and some sling mounts

That makes sense. I had a couple of Renegades, nice shooters and handy in the woods. Congratulations

Surprising because he's not a hunter but not really surprising as it's my understanding that these guns were made specifically for Massachusetts hunters when the black powder/muzzleloader regulations allowed for smooth bore only.
T/C made these guns to fit several of the states regulations with heavy populations that didn't allow high power rifles. Massachusett was only one of a half dozen or more states at the time. We know this for a fact per the T/C distributors and several of their sales people along with a statement on their literature.

buck conner.jpg

I like my .56 smooth bore (28 guage) Renegade for early season squirrel hunting when the leaves are still on the trees here in CT. A 5/8 oz load of #6 shot really drops the limb chickens from the trees.

Congrats on the score! I had a T/C 56 cal. Smooth-bore Renegade. In order to shoot the .550 RB, I could only use .010" patches (no rifling so .015 wouldn't work). With a recommended load of 80 grains, I kept burning up my patches without a backup patch. I think I could have used a .535 RB with a .018" pillow ticking and probably did better. But like you, I sold the gun.

I shoot a .550 round ball from my .56 using .010 patch, but i put a felt shot buffer wad over the powder column. My accuracy at 50 yards is 2-2.5 inches.

If you can find one of the old Sam Fadala BP manuals he had a section on shooting these guns and got some decent accuracy from them at 100 yards. I see them on gunbroker on occaision but the only balls I could find was from TOW. I couldn't find a mold for 56 caliber. And yes maybe a .535 ball in a thick patch might work.

This is the one I have and it taught me how to shoot my BP guns. I had almost given up on BP until I read this and followed his directions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Comple...205501?hash=item23cffb41fd:g:TAoAAOSwFQVeEqd2

If you can find one of the old Sam Fadala BP manuals he had a section on shooting these guns and got some decent accuracy from them at 100 yards. I see them on gunbroker on occaision but the only balls I could find was from TOW. I couldn't find a mold for 56 caliber. And yes maybe a .535 ball in a thick patch might work.

This is the one I have and it taught me how to shoot my BP guns. I had almost given up on BP until I read this and followed his directions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Comple...205501?hash=item23cffb41fd:g:TAoAAOSwFQVeEqd2

Thanks for the advice Tom, just picked up a copy of the revised edition on ebay for $16.50.

You can get a .550 ball mold from Jeff Tanner. That is where I got mine, and they make a nice ball.
Hi Grimord. I bought some .550 balls from one of the websites that someone recommended. not sure i want to start making balls but thanks for the advice and source.
bob

Latest posts

Back