SMI or Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head Hunter

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether I should purchase an SMI or a Savage. I am not in a hurry, and therefore, I can wait for the boys at SMI to come back to work in the Spring. If I purchase a Savage, I am going to get the laminated version and the price will be around $540 or so. I will probably pay more for the SMI. Here are my thoughts so far: The SMI has a longer barrel that would be of assistance in those states where I can't use smokeless powder. It should also prove to be lighter than the Savage. The laminated Savage weighs 8.75 pounds without a scope. Add a scope and I'm at around 10 pounds. I also like the fact that SMI does not have a ventliner to fool with. All that being said, I welcome your opinions on the Pros and Cons of this purchase. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Head Hunter, welcome to the group. I have both the 10-ML-II and a NEF/SMI. It sounds like you have researched most of the differences I could mention to you. The SMI breech plug is nice but really is not a determining factor in my opinion. Proper maintenance of the Savage breech plug makes for easy use.

The weight issue will have the Savage produce less felt recoil but for me both feel better than any slug gun I?ve ever shot. The SMI barrel requires the extra high rings to allow your scope to clear the hammer so you might have issues with the comb as the standard NEF stock is more like a shot gun. Wolfhound (Patrick) can give you information on a better stock for the NEF.

As for the people involved with each company both Ron Name at SMI and everyone involved with my purchase of the Savage have been helpful and informative. You?ll find RW?s web-site to be most informative on all that pertains to the Savage.

My SMI shoots 200 grain sst/shockwave bullets at 1? or better groups and for me so that makes it my longer range gun. I have shot several .458 300 grain loads with the same accuracy.

My Savage will produce similar accuracy with many different 250 and 300 grain bullets in .452 and .458. As for cost, you can find an NEF single shot for under a hundred dollars. Look for the deal while Ron is a snow bird and if it?s a purpose built slug gun model you should have a better comb and trigger. Plus you have two guns instead of one.

While both guns have a few con?s both have enough pro?s to make either a fine choice.

Don't forget the Savage has super fast lock time verses the SMI. :wink:

I have to admit I was somewhat skeptical about a simple barrel on a NEF frame being anywhere in the league of a Sav 10-ML2. IH's comments, after he got his, were enough to push me over the edge and make the purchase. I've had a 25-06 Ultra Rifle and an Ultra Slug Gun as well as a simple 12g NEF. I am aware of the receiver's short-comings. The SMI shoots very consistently and seems bullet proof as far as dependability and simplicity. It consistently shoots MOA or better with a # of loads. Actually I've only tested about 6 and they are all MOA or better. The most surprising is the 200SST with speed which I didn't obtain with the Sav. I really like the non-fouling and non-changing breechplug sans a ventliner. I'd say it is a preference thing. Each will do the job admirably. Regardless of the lock time, or SSS comp trigger, or Sims pad, or mercury recoil reducers, bedding and extra bolt ,heavy recoil lug and on and on, the SMI with its marginal trigger shoots right with the Savage on its best days and better than the Sav on the days it just seems to not want to shoot small groups. The choice between the guns is just preference. If you haven't experienced a SMI, its rather hard to compare.

Head Hunter said:
I am trying to decide whether I should purchase an SMI or a Savage. I am not in a hurry, and therefore, I can wait for the boys at SMI to come back to work in the Spring. If I purchase a Savage, I am going to get the laminated version and the price will be around $540 or so. I will probably pay more for the SMI.

Hi all,
I am also thinking about getting a smi barrel for my NEF/H&R..receiver. I have the NEF slug gun receiver already.
The Savage ML II I bought a while back seems to be capable of good accuracy. I have not shot it a lot, but it can put 3 Hornady 250 xtp's with
37 gr. N110 in less than 1" @ 100 yds. Will be experimenting with other bullet and powder combinations soon.
I'm sure the Savage can do anything a muzzle loader needs to do for me but I am always looking for a new gun to play with. :wink:
I can get the smi barrel for $275 with my dealer discount.
One thing I was not sure of was if the 1 in 36" twist was the only choice?
(have a e-mail in to smi ) Anybody know?

Vince

His std barrel is 36 twist which works well for most 300 g bullets and less. The 300SSTs shoot very accurately in his barrel. Since he uses Douglas barrels, I suspect a faster twist is possible without undue problems.

SW said:
His std barrel is 36 twist which works well for most 300 g bullets and less. The 300SSTs shoot very accurately in his barrel. Since he uses Douglas barrels, I suspect a faster twist is possible without undue problems.

Ron at SMI tells me I can get a 32 twist but would have a longer wait to get it. (Douglas would have to make the blank for them). Just thought I would follow up with this info for anybody else interested..

Vince
s.w. Ohio

Latest posts

Back